1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ebs Valve Drive volume drop?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mgalat, Apr 1, 2013.

1. mgalat

mgalat

Dec 5, 2011
    So I bought a valve drive from some guy on the interwebs. It gets to my home, I just do a very quick check to make sure it turns on and sound comes out, and tell the guy it arrived in good shape.

Putting the pedal through the paces today, I found that it has a significant volume drop off. I checked and made sure that the pad button was "off" and used my Rick and my jazz with an audere 9v preamp for testing.

In order to get the same volume out as if the pedal was bypassed I have to have the volume cranked all the way and the gain at 12 o'clock minimum.

Would this be a tube problem? I actually tried another tube in it and still had the same issue.

I have heard really great things about this pedal, but this is driving me nuts.

2. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    PM'd

3. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I have one as my always on pedal. It boosts my signal quite a bit. How do you have your EQ set?

4. GuzBaas

GuzBaas

Oct 10, 2008
    London
    happened to me once... changed the tube... and everything went to normal

so change the tube and see what happens.

5. mgalat

mgalat

Dec 5, 2011
    So, finally got around to changing the tube. For the quick while that I got to test it (right before stage time) it seemed to resolve the issue.

So.....like everyone said....just change the tube. Perhaps I had a hard time doing it because it was $23 for a 12Ax7 at guitar center. Better than a dead $300 pedal I suppose :)