Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS vs AMPEG vs EDEN

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, May 23, 2005.

1. Given the choice between these 4 amps for a primarily heavy rock style of music, which would you choose and why?

• Ampeg SVT4-PRO
    • Eden WT-800
    • EBS TD650
    • Fender Bassman 800

*cabs = 2 x Eden D210xst

:confused:

2. EBS
    I haven't tryied out anything else...

3. I tried the EBS out on the weekend, it was very tight and punchy, perfect for slap, but can it get the fullness of the ampeg for rock?

4. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    My experience with the Eden WT800 leaves me with the conclusion it could do just about anything having enough poewr and punch to produce a big bass sound with authority providing your speakers are up to snuff.

I'm sure all the other choices would do well too. eden has a particular sound perhaps more associated with other styles of music, but I wouldnt hesitate to choose it based on years of using one.

5. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Ive had all but the fender and play in a hard rock band. I thought all three did a nice job but I liked the Td650 the best. It was tighter and more even from the lows to the highs. The drive knob on the td650 is very usefull and helps bring some grit to the tone. It stay deep and powerfull on the lows without getting muddy.

All these amps have a signature tone with the ebs being a bit more neutral, so if you can, try them out or at least try each 'brand' out. Good luck with your search.

6. Can anyone comment on the volume of these amps in relation to each other... does the 650 ebs stand shoulder to shoulder with the higher wattage of the Ampeg through the same cabs?

7. i havent had a chance to compare all of them, but some people here tend to think the svt4 lacks some volume despite having over 1200w.
    and you don´t find many(or any?) posts about the td650 not being loud enough?
    i like ampegs with tubes in the power-section. but i would pick the ebs out of those for the punch and clarity(and the drive-section). not that any of the other is a bad choice, just my feeling.
    Try ém before.
    :smug:

8. strange that the EBS only has a frquency range starting at 35hz? I've noticed this in alot of cabs also, but doesn't it seem odd that bass amp manufacturers don't build amps to accomodate the full fundamental frequency range of a standard 5string bass? I know that the overtones etc will still be there and it will still sound full and punchy, but I still think it is strange...

9. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    To me the td650 was a fair bit louder of the three, that I had.

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i recently tried out the hd350 and td650 by ebs.

IMO, thay can get an "ampegish" tone via the drive control, which adds a ton of midrange punch and presence. The 650 also has two switches that affect the drive control, so essentially you get 4 different characters to that sound. very cool

11. Thanx guys - I've definately shifted the TD650 above the ampeg, and eden. I just need to try out the Fender 800 and also the fender 300 PRO (all tube) to compare them against the ebs