EBS vs Eden 410 xst A/B test.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flanker, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Flanker

Feb 12, 2002
    Spent yesterday afternoon with Bernie Goodfellow investigating cabs!

As well as making some of the worlds finest bass guitars (GB), Bernie is also EBS 's man in London, and while he may be slightly biased - I am not.

Anyway we AB'd my Eden 410 XST with an EBS 410 as well as a EBS 210/115 rig. Granted we were using my EBS TD650 amp for the day.I know the XST is supposed to be the HiFi version of edens 410 range but it still sounded much woolier than either the EBS 410 on its own or the 210/115 combination.The EBS just seemed more punchy and defined.

I mentioned that on paper the EBS 410 and 210 start at 70 Hz while Eden give 36Hz for the 410XST and I was a bit concerned that it may not deliver the low B very well. Bernie used my Lakland 55/94 deluxe to check it out.The EBS410 genuinely sounded just as deep as the Eden but again with more definition, even at the far end of the thick string! The cabs seemed a bit hissy to me but this was reduced a lot once the tweeter control was reduced from nearly full up to a level that I personally prefer.

All in all a very interesting day out, and to be honest a bit disappointing for me as I expected the XST to be a little less coloured than it seems to be. Anyway, it looks like going on Ebay soon as I want to try out some Bergantino cabs this weekend (No 322 unfortunately) before making a choice between them and the EBS,(either the 210/115 combination or maybe the 210/311).The 410 is great but I just feel a bigger speaker somewhere will help round out the sound when required.

I play bass purely for fun and would never consider myself anything but an interested amatuer. Bernie on the other hand has years of experience as a bass player and luthier and as I said earlier he may be a bit biased - now I know why. :D

Hope this helps a bit as I know its frustrating trying to make decisions when it's sometimes very difficult to get your hands on the gear to try it out.

2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey, thanks for the info, Flanker. I've personally been curious to hear some detailed a/b comparisons of both of these cabinets.

brad cook
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Excellent review! Of course, I bet you could probably go on and on...;)

I had the pleasure of A/B'ing an EBS 4x10 with a Bergantino 3x10, as played through an EBS HD 350. I found the Bergie sounded a little more polite and (depending on your viewpoint) either scooped the mids more than the EBS or was flat in the mids where the EBS is bumped a little...personally I think the former.

Anyway, both great cabs, though I thought the EBS better for rock and blues, the Bergie better for jazz.

Just my opinion...:D

Thanks again for yours!:D:bassist:
  4. Badenough

Dec 30, 2000
    Oslo Norway

Very good review. I am in the process of getting a new cab. replacing my Eden 4X10 XLT. I am testing out EBS 2X10 + 2X12 combination. I use two amp set ups. Aguilar 359 and a Demeter HBP 1 withQSC 1602 . Using the EBS 2X12 only with the Aguilar is great for small venues. Also both cabs with the Demeter /QSC is very good. The EBS cabs give a significantly flatter response and more punch than the old XLT.

I am very curious about the Epifani 3X10 Ultra Light.
    Have any one had a chance to try this cab??
    Do you know if there is anyone in the London area that sell Epifani?
  5. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Don't know about dealers in London, but I looked at their site and was surprised to find the ultralite 3-10 is higher priced that the regular 3-10. $1,375 vs $1,299. They have the same drivers, but use lighter cabinet materials.

I played through the regular 3-10. Great cab with very good punch and bottom. It seemed to have a bump in the mid-bass range which I could not EQ out. Not a bad thing though, depending on your preferences.