Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebtech Hum X

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowrez, Jun 3, 2005.

1. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    In my new place I am getting quite a bit of 60 cycle hum through my baby blue. Anyone tried the Ebtech Hum X? how well did it work?

2. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    I keep one in my gig bag, and it helps some of the time in some noisy rooms. If the hum stops when you disconnect the cable, the HumX probably won't help; it can't prevent hum that is induced into the amp through the cable and bass.

3. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I used the Ebtech "Hum eliminator" to eliminate a ground-loop I had when I split my signal using a DigiTech Bass Squeeze to my amp and the PA. Worked great, but since it is designed for line-level (+4dB), it cut the volume a bit.

If you're just pluggin' in to your amp, I don't suppose you've got a "reverse polarity" (or ground-lift?) switch on the back? Some amps do, and that solves the problem.

4. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    there is a ground lift on the back. Doesn't seem to make any difference. Hmm, the hum can be heard without an instrument or cable attached. Maybe this won't work? who knows...

5. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I'd stop by Radio Shack or Home Depot and get one of those little $5 outlet testers - the 3-prong kind you plug-in with LEDs to tell you if your outlet is OK.

I'm assuming you looked around for proximity to floresent lighting and large electric sources (transformers) already.

6. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I'll try yo snag the tester today. No transformers that I see around, and no suspect lighting. Funny thing my Eden wt800 doesn't seem to be doing this. Could the furman power strip be stopping it? hmm.