Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBTech Line Level Shifter

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FOE_Bass, Jul 20, 2001.

1. FOE_Bass

FOE_Bass Guest

Jun 29, 2000
    Grass Valley, CA
    What's up? I have taken the head out of my 20w combo amp and want to use it as a fuzz effect (it's incredibly blown out) on my larger amp. I would have to run into it's input then out it's headphone jack into the input of my larger amp. However, when I do this, the volume is greatly reduced. I am also scared that since the headphone jack is powered, it might overload my amp. Then I saw the EBTech Line Level Shifter in Musicians Friend, and it looks like the answer to my prayers. Does anyone have info on this product? Will it doo what I need to do? My larger amp also has a preamp out and a poweramp in on the back, but I don't think the poweramp in works. I am soon getting a preamp/poweramp set up, so I was wondering if I could run this in the effects loop. But, again there is the loss of volume. Thanks alot for any and all info.

2. FOE_Bass

FOE_Bass Guest

Jun 29, 2000
    Grass Valley, CA
    Will someboy please help me?!

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    You might have more luck getting your questions answered if you post them in the right forum. This should be in amps, where this is going right now.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I read it several times, and I'm still not sure what (sound) you're trying to achieve...

To 1.: Why not buy a distortion pedal, instead of that line level shifter?
    Probably costs the same and it's more likely getting you the sound you want.
    That little amp won't give you decent distortion because the speakers probably are what let it sound so raw. And you won't get that tansmitted to your big amp unless you miked it or use a speaker simulator.
    Save yourself the hassle.

It probably sounds quieter because of impedance mismatch.

To 2.: Don't, I repeat, DON'T put an amp in your FX loop, it is designed for line level signals only. This could damage your amp.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    You see?

6. FOE_Bass

FOE_Bass Guest

Jun 29, 2000
    Grass Valley, CA
    I know it's not the speaker giving me the "raw" sound, because I ripped the speaker out. I already have a distortion pedal, I wanted something unique. All I want to know is if this Line Level Switcher will work. Is the level coming out of the headphone jack -10dB or +4dB. Is the line going into my amp supposed to be -10dB or +4dB.

7. Actually, the signal from a bass xan range, deoending on the elctronics. Most are at max -10db. usually lower I beleive. turning the volume on the small amp can't give enough sound? perhaps something like a line level shifter will do it....but it's questionable. you need something that can amplify the signal. perhaps a headphone amp? or some other signal booster/preamp.