1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eccles Sonata for Youth Orchestra Audition Piece?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by Hemispheres85, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Hemispheres85

Hemispheres85

Jun 15, 2006
    Hi Everyone,

I'm a student in high school that just started playing in the winter of 2006. I'm highly considering audition for my local youth orchestra, hoping that I'll get into at least the first of the 3 orchestras.

Would Eccles' Sonata in g minor be a good choice for a piece? It seems like It's not out of my range of playing with some practice.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. This is a pretty good audition experience, the advantages are that its extremely well known and its standard repetoire, it is doable and can be very impressive. The disadvantages are that is well known and anyone knows all the ins and outs of it, and have probably heard it 7000 times. Also the first movement is deceptively hard and Baroque style can be really difficult.

This at least has been my experience with the piece, I audition with the Largo last year and got into the second highest orchestra of four in the Wisconsin Youth Symphony, I didn't preform it all that well and I might use it again this year, but Ive been working on 4 or 5 solos so maybe not.

3. sibass89

sibass89

Jan 29, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    I've gotten into some of the best youth orchestras in New York playing Vivaldi sonatas. Don't worry so much about what the piece is, just a play a piece that you can play in tune, in time, and musically and you will not have any problems. Good Luck!

4. Tyler_W

Tyler_W

Jun 15, 2005
    Woodbridge, VA
    QFT...

I got into music school (though I'm a music ed major--I know better than to do performance!) with Simandl 10 and a Beethoven Sonatina (G minor)

5. rustyburrito55

rustyburrito55

Dec 27, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I'm playing that now, if you just started 2 years ago and haven't done a lot in thumb position i'm not sure I would recommend it but otherwise go for it. The last part of the first movement is kinda tricky and the whole second movement is full of little tricky spots intionation wise. Dynamics are a HUGE part of the piece as well.

6. yep alot of colleges include eccles as the standard repertoire
    just get your thumb position intonation down if you don't already
    good job getting to eccles in your second year!

7. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    As a youth orchestra conductor and bassist I would much rather hear a Vivaldi Cello Sonata, ie. #3 than the Eccles.

IMHO
    Brian