Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eccles Sonate

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Bethelbass1, Nov 24, 2003.

1. I'm playing the eccles sonate. Does anyone know a good recording that is avaliable to purchase. I can't find any on amazon that is played on the bass.

2. The Karr version is on Gary Karr Recital and it's available through Lemur, R342 is the cat.#. Go to http://www.lemurmusic.com

3. I'd rather not get the Karr recording. He does some interesting things, but If there are no others I will consider it.

4. sdjbass

sdjbass

Mar 11, 2003
    Greensboro, NC
    I have a copy by Yoan Goilav, on a cd called the Virtuoso Romantic Double Bass. It is decent, and if you just want to hear it played for you it does the trick. I think Lemur carries it

5. maladjusted

maladjusted

Feb 15, 2004
    San Diego
    Bernard Salles does a good version with a string quintet. I bought a copy from lemur music. Also, Ovidiu Badilla does it on a cd called Memorial Recordings. I also got that from Lemur Music.

6. Can I ask why not Karr?

7. Does anybody know where i can buy a recording of the Dragonetti Concerto in A? Lemur doesnt sell it and I'm lookin for one.

8. kontri

kontri Guest

Oct 5, 2002
    Denmark
    Check out a cd named "Il contrabasso Italiano" on www.amazon.com
    It has both Eccles and Dragonetti the player is an Italian guy (teaching in Rome) called Massimo Giorgi.

9. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    The version by Bernard Cazauran[/URL] with a string quartet is available on Amazon, a very sweet and expressive interpretation, IMO.

10. ba$$88

ba$$88 Guest

Jun 13, 2004
    Gary Karr's recording is amazing. He plays it with harpschichord. Get it!! :)

11. I love people who make remarks like this and then don't have the ***** to back it up.

12. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    How about Edgar Meyer's new duo album. He just does the first and last movements, but isn't that what Eccles wrote anyway?

13. When I wrote this my teacher and I were discussing some of Karr's techniques in playing (such as playing with the bass more vertically) and I guess that's what I meant. Truthfully I don't really remember. Karr is a great player and his recording is probably just fine.