Echo - Delay Recommendation

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Low Main, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    When I first started buying pedals, I stumbled across a Pigtronix Echolution 2 (the white Filter Pro version) and figured what the heck, why not? Up to now it's been the only delay pedal I've had.

Now I'm looking for something a bit less complicated that takes up less room on the pedalboard and runs on 9V instead of 18V. I love what the Echolution does, but I doubt I'll ever really tap the full potential of its boundless options and features. It's like having a Mini Moog when all you need is a Melodica.

I'm hoping to find a pedal that has the clarity and trippy aspects of the Echolution if possible. I want to avoid the muddy low end echo / delay that Tim Lefebvre and others have made part of their sound. I'm a huge Lefebvre fan (I even learned to spell his name right without having to look) but just want to go for a different approach with this type of effect.

Any thoughts or suggestions most welcome. Many thanks.

Driven Crane likes this.
  2. AlvarHanso

AlvarHanso

Jun 20, 2011

This should fit the bill. Has a great echo delay, several other delays including EHX's Deluxe Memory Man, works well with bass, and has a 1 min looper as well. And won't break the bank. And your local music shop, especially the big places will likely have one for you to try out if you brave the stores in the COVID times.

Low Main and basstalkname like this.
  3. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    Strymon Dig is still the best for me, along with H9 and Timeline (but they are more complex).
    It can be percussive, clean yet warm and it has its special transparency.

Low Main likes this.
  4. Pacodelivery

Pacodelivery Supporting Member

May 25, 2014
    Baltimore
    I've owned, conservatively, 2 or 3 hundred pedals.

The one that's stayed on my board the longest is the EHX deluxe memory boy. Oh I've tried to replace it trust me, but at the end of the day nothing has been able to replace it.

A big reason why is that it has a built in variable high pass filter on the repeats, which you can dial in using a second function and then set-and-forget. What's cool is, it's basically like putting a hpf in the fx loop, which is compander based, meaning that every time the delay goes around it hits the filter again, meaning successive repeats are high passed in a cascade like fashion. So it definitely addresses the mud issue you're talking about.

That, and tap tempo with subdivisions, a subtle-to-wacky modulation section, one of the most usable runaway feedback sounds I've encountered (due in no small part to the aformentioned hpf I think), an fx loop, and a gain control? pfft, for the amount of money you can get one of those for?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    Low Main and Nick von Nick like this.
  5. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Many thanks, these are great suggestions.

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    SA Nemesis is reasonably compact, has mucho capability but can be run in a very analog manner. Also has very strong audio quality.

Low Main likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021