Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Echo Hatchback for bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by LM Bass, Jan 6, 2005.

1. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Hi Folks,

Has anyone tried to fit a double bass in a Toyota Echo hatchback?

LM

2. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I haven't done the Echo, but in my experience hatchbacks are overlooked for their ability to swallow up cargo. How much stuff you can get in besides the bass (especially passengers) will depend largely on how the rear seats fold down (i.e., bench, 50/50, 60/40.)

The only thing I don't like about hatchbacks is size: they are small, I am large. Often not the most comfortable ride for me. Still, I've had several hatchbacks over the years and have done tons of slab gig hauling as well as stuff related to my cabinet-making. You could fit the width of a sheet of plywood into the old Honda Civics.

3. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    LM.

I had a Corolla hatchback a few years ago. It pretty much looks to be the old version of the Echo Hatchback. It was a real small two door.

I use to fit by URB, slab, and decent size amp in it all. Would put the bass through the back with the neck sticking through between the driver and passanger seats. Then you have room for amp, stool, other equipment on either side. Plus the equipment keeps the bass in place.

With no equipment I use to make sure the bass was secure.

Hope this helps.

PS- take it for a test drive, stop at home, load up and see what fits :D

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    the Echo is a hatchback? Alla the ones I've seen were coupes, with a trunk. The Toyota website doesn't list a hatchback (or 3 door) option....
    Whatchoo talking about?

The SCion xA is based on the Echo platform and is a hatchback (so's teh tC), is that what yer talking about?

5. pkivory

pkivory Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2004
    LM - The Echo Hatchback is not available in the US. I tried to get one, but couldn't and ended up going with the Scion Xa which is a repackaged Echo; which is a repackaged Tercel. The Xa is a descent little car that fits a large 3/4 upright and a Flite 15" speaker cabinet with the rear seats down. As far the cargo space in the Echo goes, take your rig to the dealer and see what works. -pki

6. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    &*($%^$@#@^&*^$%#$#......

Whew, I feel better.

I've got an Echo 4-door and my upright fits nicely, if not a little snug, along with my amp, stool, bag o' cords, handtruck, if neeeded. If the hatchback was available in the U.S. I would have surely gotten it. In fact when, i bought mine (02), i asked the dealer if they made a hatchback. They're great cars for the city cause you can maneuver into all sorts of spaces that vans and SUV's can't. It helps when you're playing in downtown Chicago. :D

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    It looks like, in Canadia, the Scion xA is being sold as the Echo hatchback.

8. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Hi all,

Answering my own question:

Well, after rehearsal tonight, the tabla player I work with had his new Echo Hatchback there. We put the bass in and. . .
    (Drum roll please)
    . .. It fit!

My largish bass fits very comfy, and you can still have 3 seats down for driver and 2 passengers. Cool! There is just enough room in the back for my small Euphonic audio speaker and probably my amp head as well.

Ed, I just looked at the Scion, and it's not quite the same.
    Poor 'Mericans = Lucky 'Nucks, but we still got no hockey. :crying:

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Whyncha get one of these?

10. or even one of these…

11. Just to through my car into the thread: I'm driving an early model Toyota RAV4 (either 96 or 97, can't recall which... isn't that bad?) It's a two-door (really a three door). My 3/4 Knilling barely fits in... and that's with the front-passenger seat's back all the way down! Just barely...

In the future, I will be certain to take my bass car shoping with me.

(I should note, the RAV4 did come before my bass...)