Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

echo layla 20

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by nickname, Dec 16, 2005.

1. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    anyone have any suggestions with this unit?

one thing i've always wondered, is when i run the mic's through our mixer, i go from direct outs to the layla. what is the optimal setting for the pots. Do i push them all the way up and then adjust the pre so its not clipping? or do i just leave them at 0? i just noticed there isnt a lot of definition or power when i use the layla, until i adjust gain inthe layla console, but i should have to do that every time. adds too much noise.

so if anyone has used this, please share your tips and tricks.

2. DaveMcLain

DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    I have a Layla 20 bit box that I've used for years. The optimum setting on the Layla is with the input gain at 0. One thing you must check is wether or not you have the Layla set up at +4 or -10Db nominal level that's a BIG difference. If your mixer is running at -10 and you have the Layla set at +4 it will not have enough gain, give that a check.

How hot should the signal be? I would try for about -6 or so on most signals so that you have some safety and avoid "overs" you just won't lose enough signal to noise ratio to worry about and if you do some processing later down the line digitally you won't run out of headroom.

3. DaveMcLain

DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    I have a Layla 20 bit box that I've used for years. The optimum setting on the Layla is with the input gain at 0. One thing you must check is wether or not you have the Layla set up at +4 or -10Db nominal level that's a BIG difference. If your mixer is running at -10 and you have the Layla set at +4 it will not have enough gain, give that a check.

How hot should the signal be? I would try for about -6 or so on most signals so that you have some safety and avoid "overs" you just won't lose enough signal to noise ratio to worry about and if you do some processing later down the line digitally you won't run out of headroom.

Also, be sure to go to Echo's website and get the latest driver for the 20 bit Layla it's much better than the older stuff.

4. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Turn up the pres and then adjust the gain on the Layla.