Echo MIA Sound Card

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by BigTed, Sep 12, 2002.

1. BigTed

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    Anyone have any experience with this card? It seems to be the most affordable 24/96 card out there, at $179.00. Any opinions on Echo, with their customer service, and driver support?

My signal chain would probably be

Fender Jazz > SansAmp BDDI > Echo MIA > CUBASE SX

Besides it being the cheapest card, I also like the fact that it has 1/4" ins (no extra cable purchasing) and no need for a breakout box.

Any opinions would be appreciated.
  2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    echo cards have a great rep.

i went with the M-Audio 2496 card. only RCA anaolgue, but with SPDIF and MIDI...i'm set!

great sound!!!

both are around the same price...either win!

i remember when cards with no where near this quality cost over a grand.

3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    No experience, but I've heard it's good value. Even cheaper is the Soundtrack Audio DSP24 Value card, which I think runs for about $130-$140. I do have personal experience with that card, and I don't recommend it.

Not having a breakout box is not really an advantage. Quite the contrary, breakout boxes allow for better shielding of the converters, so that computer noise won't blend in with the audio signal being recorded/played back. (There is an insane amount of this going on with my Soundtrack card's analogue jacks.)
  4. I have an Echo Mia. I bought it a few weeks ago and it's great. I do wish that I had a midi connector on it but it's not that big of a deal for me.

I currently record onto a Tascam 788, mix on that and then master on my PC with Wavelab. For now, being somewhat of a novice at it, I am happy.

I use the spdif for recording from the Tascam, but have also used the analog 1/4 ins to record some stuff that was put down on cassette. I am mastering some live recordings done of the band that way (pre 788). I don't get a whole lot of noise with this believe it or not.

Also, the mia card has not caused any issues with the soundblaster card that also resides in my machine, and I can switch back and forth between the two without problem.

I can't say anything about their tech support because I haven't needed any. I just did as they said, installed the drivers, shut down the PC, installed the card, rebooted and I was good to go.

hope this helps.

5. jblake

Aug 30, 2001
    Gray, ME
    I'm running the MIA on all the machines in the facility I run. They're great cards for the money. I haven't tried the WDM drivers since they were Beta. They're really solid cards and they soud great. I'm thinking about getting one for my Mac at home.
  6. I had a Layla before I upgraded. Good sound. Driver support is fine, as far as I could tell.
  7. BigTed

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    Thanks For the Input. I think I'm gonna go for the MIA. I just have to wait a pay-check or so. I'll post how it works out for me.

Thanks Again,