1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Echo pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Precision345, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    I need some recommendations on a good solid echo pedal to purchase. I currently use a Danelectro Fab Echo and it's okay but I only bought it based on the price and because I wanted to try one out. It's pretty good but i'm sure there is much better out there. I'm thinking of ordering a #1 Echo by EHX because they generally make solid pedals and it's only $110.

Any thoughts on this??
    :)

2. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz "My arms are too short to box w/ God." J.R. Cash Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    Both the EHX Cathedral and EHX Memory Man work very well with bass.

3. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    I have the TC Flashback and Source Audio Dimension Reverb. I use them both frequently. The SA pedal really shines when connected to an expression pedal. Both handle bass very well. The Flashback has a dynamic mode that holds the echo until you have finished your line. I'm not a fan of the looper portion of the original Flashback, but they significantly improved its functionality in the X4 model.

4. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    I had a memory man and it was better suited for guitar as it could get pretty noisy. Plus it's actually a delay more than an echo

5. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    Roland RE-20 Space Echo: try one and you'll get lost in space and never come back. Has 12 modes, delay, reverb dealy+reverb, tap tempo, oscillation galore and it can get REALLY WILD. Heres a crappy video of me playing through mine:

6. You're going to have to give me the skinny on the difference between delay and echo. I use the terms pretty interchangeably.

7. TussinBot.

TussinBot.

Aug 21, 2010
    Burbank, Ca
    flashback with w/toneprint can be had for 100-115 used. Delay/echo/looper/toneprint which I use for chorus. id love to have tap tempo with it, but I can live without it for everything else.

8. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    I Googled it and found this:

an echo is when you are standing at the entrance to a cave let's say.. and you say "HELLO!!" .. and it comes back "HELLO..HEllo..Hello..hello..etc."
    a delay is when you are heading to work let's say... and up ahead on the road you see Godzilla holding a bus with screaming people hanging out the windows.. you are stuck there until Godzilla decides to throw the bus and head on back to the ocean.. you get to work and tell your boss there was a "delay".
    Hope this cleared things up for ya!:AOK

9. Google for the win!

[​IMG]

10. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser

Feb 17, 2011
    New England
    The way I understand it....

Delay is an exact repeat. Most delays have a repeat knob that allows you to choose how many times the note (for instance) is repeated.

Echo is a fading repeat, each repeat sounds fainter than the last until you hear it no more.

Reverb is like an echo, but its more like pieces of the original note bouncing of simulated walls and such. Like a delay, but less distinct, more ambient.

I use a Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master to get delays, reverbs and echos.
    Such an awesome effect... my current favorite non-eq/drive effect pedal.
    I have it on like all the time, so good.
    Not super full featured, but it sounds amazing.
    No coloration, it sounds like my bass, only reverbed, echoed, delayed, etc...

11. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Echo Park. Kickass. Tap tempo, awesome tones, small footprint. Very very hard to beat.