1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Echo

Discussion in 'Ask David Overthrow' started by ThatOneGuyOver, Apr 30, 2007.

1. ThatOneGuyOver

ThatOneGuyOver

Apr 10, 2007
    I generally get a bit of an echo when I play. Of course, that's kind of obvious, since basses tend to do that. But what technique should I sue to stop the strings from vibrating? I've tried tried muting, using my fretting hand, and just pressing my thumb or any free plucking finger into the strings. Which one would be the best to go for, or are there other ways that are simpler?

2. Sorry about the delay in replying. In regards to the muting of the strings, I often use the fingers of the left hand to mute the strings. When I am playing, often times the fingers of my left hand, when not playing notes, are muting the strings I am not playing. This is especially the case when I am playing Slap & Pop and Fingerstyle Funk bass lines. I seem to do this subconsciously to avoid any strings noise. I find for me that the left hand muting works better than right hand muting because my right hand may be already active when playing certain styles of music. Hope this is of some help.

Peace,
    Dave

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021