1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Economic Crisis Takes It’s Toll on Live Music

Discussion in 'Bass Humor [DB]' started by Fab Superlative, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Fab Superlative

Fab Superlative

Oct 12, 2006
    Metro Motown
    The Truth Is Out There
    "Amidst national concern over the failing U.S. Economy, many performance bands are streamlining their groups to cut costs. Large groups, with multiple instruments covering the same part, have seemingly become a thing of the past. Having already cut back on the size and scope of the technical aspect (dramatic lighting, over-sized P.A. Systems), many are now looking to the on-stage talent to protect themselves against cost overruns and poor profits."

For more excerpts of this article please refer to : News from MB Washington Bureau

2. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    If it was meant to be taken seriously, it can't.
    If it was meant to be funny, it wasn't.

3. As usual, I have to agree with Mr. Higdon.
    We are surviving members of a club.....
    Back in the dark ages, when things were going pretty good for pro bassists, something happened. Another instrument came along to all but put us out of our livelihood....yes, the Fender bass guitar. I won't go on, whining about the "good old days", but that presented an "economic crisis" that took a "toll" on serious bassists.
    I'm sure this statement will rankle some, but it is the truth.

4. *Please note* This little missive is not directed at any one, just a few musings on progress. Since I'm nearing 60 OMG!!!! I can afford to be a bit of a cantankerous old SOB.

TIME WAITS FOR NO MAN!

The drum machine put a lot of drummers out of work in the 70's. The keyboard synthesizers put many string players out of work at about the same to the extent that lots of session worked dried up for these guys. Over the last 10 to 15 years, technology has made having an in home studio possible for as little as $5,000 or less. In the old days a studio could cost over a million dollars. People who could afford home studios spent well over$100,000; and so it goes.

Like it or not, it's the world we live in and it is not going to change for any group or any body. You can hate it, love it, complain about it, adapt to it or even enjoy it but regardless of what you do individually, the world does not care and it will not stop or wait for any of us.

Just the musings of an old fart!

5. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm still trying to understand why the string bass put the tuba out of business in jazz way back when.

The wrath of angry tuba players gone by is still in the fabric of time.

The music is more important than the sum of it's parts it seems.

What the music is for is up to the listener in the end.

The musicians with instruments in hand are messengers for the parts of music.

You want to kill the messengers, go ahead and suffer the wrath.

Hey, I thought this was the joke forum..........:bawl:

Treyzer, thank-you for your wisdom. "Time waits for no man!"

6. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    Doesn't rankle me at all PW.

7. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    ......reminds me of the old dudes sitting in the balcony on the Muppets show.

8. Hey, I aint got a problem with it. Separated the men from the boys......I'm still here playin' my bass..