1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Economy Bag for Class A/B Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FingerDub, Mar 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    I just picked up a Class A amp measuring approx 19x14.5x3.25, weighing about 26 pounds. I searched and looked for ideas here and elsewhere and having trouble finding a reasonable solution. Mixer bag are cheap enough but too small. Ideally, it should have padding and a shoulder strap, and extra pockets and space for cables etc, if possible but not required.

My only idea so far to create a reasonable case on the cheap by getting a small luggage bag (carry on style) from Ross for $20, which has wheels and a retractable handle, and I'll find a way to put some sort of padding in there.

Ideas? I'm not spending $100 + on an amp carrying solution.

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    That's not a "Large" class-a amp ;)
    Suitcases are like amps, the small, lightweight, rugged ones and fashionable are more expensive. You can find used heavy rugged ones at the thrift stores for pennies on the dollar.

Slough Feg Bass and FingerDub like this.
  3. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Class A is pretty unsuited to large amps, heat issues.

4. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    What is a large class A amp then? This would fit in any standard rack case.

Thrift srote is a good idea but I'm looking for something padded, which I'm unlikely to find there.

5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Class A amp? What amp is it?

FingerDub likes this.
  6. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology. It's a Hartke HA4000.

Hartke-HA4000.jpg

7. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Ok, this makes a lot more sense... you have a class AB or class B amp (amp topology naming is based on the power amp topology).

Seeing what you have, I would discourage you from seeking a padded bag of any sort. It's a rack mount amp that would be better protected in, wait for it... a rack.

I've seen too many larger amps damaged from an accidental impact with anything tougher than the knobs/switches.

MrLenny1, Passinwind and FingerDub like this.
  8. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Foam + glue + luggage = padding

Slough Feg Bass and FingerDub like this.
  9. It’s a two space amp so slot it into a 4 space SKB rack case. It’ll be protected in one of those.

10. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Just don't drop it, IME the SKB type cases are not very rugged and give a false sense of security to larger, heavier amps. I have seen enough with the aluminum rack rails torn off of the extrusion to have much confidence unless handled carefully.

11. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    Yeah, this is my concern. If you drop something that's in a hard case, there is no give and the stuff inside rattles about. Plus, I don't want to have anything bigger to carry. I use a pedal tuner and have no plans to expand into a 4 space rack case with anything else. I want to have a cheap, padded bag that can hold the amp and has a shoulder strap. It will just be my head on top of my cab.

12. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Bags offer even less protection by the way... and the racks come in 2 space as well so it doesn't have to be 4 space.

FingerDub likes this.
  13. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    FingerDub likes this.
  14. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    That bag is exactly what I am looking for. I found one locally for $20 bucks. Hopefully I can pick it up tonight.

15. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    SKB rack case worked fine for me.
    10 years with an Eden and tuner.
    Cheap used.