1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Economy - Work - Bassplaying - Oh My

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Mar 19, 2009.

1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    :meh:

Yeah so here's my story. I'm sure many folks here on TB are dealing with this too for one reason or another. I own a trucking and logistics company based out of Michigan. So right there based on where I live and the industry I am in and this economy you can already know what I must be going through. My friends and competitors are dropping like flies in my industry, going out of business left and right. This darn economy is terrible, but I do think there is signs of life. The market seems to be doing a little better, there are some positive things. Granted my company is doing OK, we are fighting the good fight trying to stay ahead of this economic turmoil. In order to do that I need to work 12-15 hours a day and I also work from the house at night having to be on call 24 hours a day. Needless to say I have only played my bass 1 hour in the last 2 weeks! I know family and work first and I am cool with that. Bass playing is that release in my life that I need, the thing that makes me feel better, forget about a long day of work. I am also in a cover band, and the guys are cool and understanding about work schedules. We are doing drummer tryouts and I just have no had the time to practice at all! So that's a bit of a bummer to say the least. I am considering quitting the band because I do not see myself having the time, in fact my work load in only increasing..yeah that sucks, but at least I can pay the bills. I know a lot of people must go throught this with work, kids, family, etc. I really don't want to stop playing the bass, but man this is just crazy right now..talk about stressed to the max!!! Anyway thanks for reading and letting me vent TB. How's everyone else holding up with all this crap right now?

2. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    I'm on call a fair amount myself. It makes scheduling gigs difficult to say the least!

3. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    At least we have jobs right now, that's what I keep telling myself to get me through. It's tough when that phone rings and your in the middle of a gig or practice.

4. I feel you....I own and operate my own business also...but my situation is different. I spend a lot more time home now b/c of the lack of work but stopped gigging b/c it usually cost me more money to play and be on the road than I make playing bass. And I need to spend my extra time looking for work. So I quite two projects I was working on until things get back going again (whenever that will be).

5. I know where you're coming from, RicPlaya. Until last summer I held a decent salaried sales position with an industrial equipment company, and played in a Contemporary Christian band in E. NE (just local gigs occasionally, and cut a couple CDs - commuted an hour each way each week for practices), and led worship for our really small church. Most recently I played a Warwick Corvette 5-string and a RockBass Fortress 5-string. In July I moved the family (3 kids and my wife) to the Pacific NW to pursue the American Dream - working for myself, much better potential for income, etc. Then later in the fall the housing market went south and the economy started to nosedive. Here we are about 9 months into this thing, and I'm wondering if we're going to make it through this downturn. Our house in NE hasn't sold. I sold my basses last fall for cashflow (kept my Warwick CCL 2x10 combo, cables and pedals though), and business has certainly been affected negatively. I'm on commission now, so we have no safety net. I finally put a bass on layaway a couple of weeks ago (with my wife's hesitant blessing) just before the Fender increases hit our local music store, and I'm hoping now that I'll be able to pay for it. Like you, playing bass is my outlet, and since I don't have any friends or band out here, I'm really hoping to see business pick back up soon. And to think my wife also suggested I quit drinking coffee last week!

6. I understand completely.... I gave up a few other things before I'll give up my basses or gigging and such. First thing to go: Cable TV. No point in sitting around and watching crap because "there is nothing to do". The second thing I gave up was Smoking cigarettes. Never really thought about what that $5 per day was really costing me. It's gotta come back sooner or later.

7. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    I drink more tea, it's cheaper and relaxing. Don't feel bad. I lost over 100K on the house we bought here in Michigan back in 2005. Hope things turn around for you!

8. My house has only lost about $20k (~12%) in the last two years... and our boss just told us we're all getting a 5% salary cut and our sick time suspended. Ain't Michigan grand.

9. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    LAUGERHAUS 5?

I know you man!

Miss you guys playing at our coffee shop;)

Vince

10. I was wondering if that was you...

We've completely re-formed the band now, new rhythm guitarist and new drummer (who just happens to be my wife...)

11. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    Congrats on the new line up

You know you guys can jam here anytime, good luck with everything.

12. My sister in law was complaining about not selling her house 5 years ago, she lost a lot of money on the house.

The good news is, if she HAD sold the house 5 years ago, she would have invested the money in the stock market, or another bigger house, and would have lost even more money.

Randy

13. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    The housing market is stupid here in Michigan, almost as pathetic as the stock market! Since the is no political discussions allowed here on TB I can't comment how I would like. Needless to say I am very unimpressed with all of our leadership..old and new! That also goes for all branches of government and the state level also, being very general here not to start a discussion or to point fingers.

The only thing we can do as citizens and bass players is get through the best we can...and keep on rockin