Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ecstatic!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by JazznFunk, Sep 30, 2004.

1. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Hey all,
    Just had to share my enthusiasm for a sec. I did a recording session tonight (first as a leader) in duo with Bill Gerhardt, a pianist mentioned here a few times. Mike McGuirk, if you're around, Bill says hi. :) Anyway, we did 5 of my tunes, recorded with Bill's 1910 Steinway and my carved-top Kohr and it sounds phenomenal. Even raw, before any EQ or mastering, the takes sound great. Very big, natural, and warm. For recording we used a large-diapraghm condenser (the exact model escapes me) and the signal from my K&K Golden Trinity mic. Blended, it's incredible.

The biggest education I got tonight from the session, aside from playing these tunes with a frickin' incredible pianist, was hearing just how different my bass sounds out front. It's much deeper and richer than I'd ever heard before. Surely it's a testament to the engineer, but it made me feel my practicing has paid off as well.

Anyway, hopefully I'll have something to share soon with you all. The tracks sound great and I'm anxious for folks to hear them.

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Does DEMON RUNDOWN still have room on the Johnson Chrionicles page? Send'em on over.

Hey I got to play with a couple of folks from your neck of the woods this weekend. A singer I used to work with from back in the 80s (Ellen) and her husband who plays piano (Derrel Monteith) were in the city over the weekend. It was the first time I had a chance to play with Derrl, he sounds good.

3. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Ed,
    Yeah man, I know Derel pretty well. He played the Composers Forum a year or so ago and had some really nice tunes. He and Ellen are nice folks. Glad to hear they were up that way and Derel was sounding great.

Yeah, as soon as the tunes are mixed and such, I'll figure out a way to get them up. Save me a spot in the Johnson Chronicles.