1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ed Friedland "Bass Grooves" question

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Aged_Clayman, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Hello TB.

Been reading this great book, lots of thoughts on how to play less and sound great. And I`ve never even imagined some of the grooves he explains in the book. So a question for your guys:
    one of the example "Slap Ex1".

G-----0-----6-----7------------------------
    D---------------------------------2----------
    A-------------------------------------------
    E--0-----0-----0----0----0---3-----------

(don`t mind the rhythm, it`s not important here)

The question is - if the key is E minor what is the C#(major sixth) doing here? It maybe D dorian, though... And if it is, can I play a melody in D major over this line?

This just makes me realise that good ol` blues scale is simpply not fun anymore :)

Regards,
    Clayman.

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Why do you think it's in E minor? Besides E there's only C#, D, and G in the notes. The C# appears to be leading into D.

3. Because there is a lot of E:) I thought of this line like "...root-seventh-root-root-third-octave". And C# got in the way:)

Well, what scale it might be then?

4. If you don't get an answer that satisfies you, go to Ed's web site, get his email address and send him your question.

Ed Friedland is a very user-friendly bass enthusiast.

5. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    E minor pentatonic scale (with the C# approach note) or it's a G major pentatonic scale with the #4 (making it a blues scale).

6. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    E Dorian. End of thread.

7. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    What about the F or F# (or lack of it)? So this could also be the second mode of D harmonic minor.