1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ed (Friedland) is at it again

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Apr 14, 2010.

1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

I'm A LW endorser.

2. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    sounds awesome. punchy, clear, and lots of sustain!!!

3. Brother Ed laying it down for the masses:hyper:

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Jauqo, you forgot the part of your post that goes

"I'm a Lightwave endorser"

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  6. Sounds a bit electronic. Like a keyboard almost.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    ya, it sounds a lot like the fancier lightwave this dude who plays with gary puckett uses sometimes. i felt the same way that it sounded a bit electronic, but for those who are into that tone, it's pretty cool. i'm not one of them, though.

8. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    one technique which i wasn't able to incorporate with the lightwave
    basses i've tried is palm muting. seemed that it killed too much vibration, and the light sensors couldn't get enough info to yield a full sound... instead of sounding fat and muted like a magnetic, it just kind of died.
    however, these basses are quite unique for sure and it'd be cool to have their color on the palette...

9. I've never played one of these but I've always wanted to try one. I like what I heard on the video except I'm a bit partial when it comes to slap tones. I'm more of a Marcus Miller kind of guy tone wise and I didn't hear that in Ed's video.

10. Pretty versatile IMO!

11. edfriedland

edfriedland

Sep 14, 2003
    Austin, TX
    I've tried it too, and I think the problem is more a result of the amount of space the bridge housing takes up. Palm muting works best right at the witness point where the string crosses the saddle, and the LW housing puts your muting hand too far in front of that point. If you tried to mute at that point on any bass, you'd find the vibrations are choked too much. So, I think it's more a physical thing and not a problem with the pickup itself.

12. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    That really sounded GREAT!!! I gotta check one of those out!

13. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Certaintly an interesting bass, would love to try one out.

14. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    Very nice!!! I didn't realize that they were still making basses! As usual, Ed makes the bass sound great!!!!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

15. DarkArwen

DarkArwen

Oct 29, 2009
    I do appreciate some of the tone options. But light waves? I would probably break it just by looking at it. I better stick with magnets.

16. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    A&R, Soulless Corporation Records
    Very interesting tone.

17. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    That is very cool, I havn't paid much attention to the Lightwave stuff until now.
    As to the comments about the synthy sound, that may be the soundtrack on the video. I was listening through headphones and there is some type of phase-like audio artifact present, I can hear it on Ed's voice as well. It definitely affects how the bass sounds on the vid.

I'd like to check one of these out in person. It's very interesting technology. I wonder how this system would interface with MIDI conversion or the Roland V-Bass system.

18. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    I'm not feeling it, for me. I could see it with some cool applications, but nothing amazing. Not only that, but i rest my thumb on the pickups. With this bass, i have nothing, which would be mighty awkward for my playing.

19. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    I watched more of the video, I will say that slap tone is pretty trashy. Sounds like a cheap yamaha keyboard, haha. On the other hand, the chords sounded really great. Though, they didnt sound much like bass chords. They sounded like guitar chords. THOUGH, some people may want that, but if i do, i play guitar, haha.

To each his own! its still cool looking at least.

20. aside from the dub & motown sounds (which were fat and deep and sounded great), I didn't dig the overall tone much at all…and given my playing technique (palm muting is integral), I would never be happy with a lightwave.