Ed Friedland-Jazz Bass Book

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by CDuff, May 26, 2003.

1. CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    I recently bought "Jazz Bass" by Ed Friedland from the 'Bass Builders' series. Having started it and feeling like I've kinda been thrown in headfirst it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. So, i was wondering if anybody here has either read the book through or has read other books by Ed Friedland.

Disclaimer: I realise you cannot learn jazz from a book, but i just want to get some basic theory and ideas in my head before attempting to play the stuff.

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I have the Jazz Bass book. Very good book, imo. It gives a nice overview of constructing walking lines, song form, rhythm, and even Latin styles. It may seem like you have gone head-first into Jazz. Don't worry, though, just take your time and be patient.
  3. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    IMO, a better book for Jazz bass lines is "Creating Jazz Bass Lines" by Jim Stinnett.
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Ed's "Jazz Bass" book is a compressed version of the material in his TWO walking lines books ("Building Walking Bass lines" and "Expanding Walking Bass Lines") plus additional material on soloing. The earlier books are easier going because they move at a slower pace.

I also have used Jim Stinnett's book and it's good, too. Ed and Jim take somewhat different approaches which worked for me because between the two finally the light bulb came on in my head :D
  5. CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    thanks. Obviously, I realise that to truly be thrown in at the deep end is to be put on stage with no knowledge. It's just that, I think this book assumes I know more than I actually do but I'll stick with it and let you know when I come out the other side.

Brian, As far as light bulbs go,I think I'm still in the dark ages ;)
  6. I got Ed Friedlands book Expanding Walking Bass Lines and it's very useful. I looked at the jazz bass book but it did seem a bit general, and didn't seem to go into things in as much detail as expanding walking bass lines but I'm sure it's a good book. Be patient though and it will all pay off :)
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I used it when I was starting to play Jazz and found it excellent - it certainly filled in the gaps - although I had already been playing bass for many years and knew a fair bit of theory.

I think it's great for a bass player who is already playing another type of music but is unfamiliar with Jazz - I have since loaned it out to two other bass players who like myself started out in rock/pop but wanted something to bridge the gap.

I must say though, that this was not my sole resource and I was taking regular Jazz classes and going along to workshops/jams etc.

I think you need to be able to ask questions of a teacher - but this book made me feel a bit less of an idiot, when asking those questions!! ;)
  8. CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    great reply Bruce.
    I'm only 18 and playing for 3 years but I've had this love of Jazz and I'd love to be able to play it fairly convincingly. At the moment the band I'm in is straight-ahead rock and I'm having a gas but just for me at home, I'd love to play jazz.
    As for workshops and jams, that's very doubtful where I am.
    reckon i'll stick with it though.

9. I've been working through Building Walking Basslines. It's been a pretty tough slog, really, but I am progressing. It's really tough to teach yourself this stuff, but I believe it can be done.