1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ed Friedland on the greenboy fEARless F112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CL400Peavey, Oct 10, 2013.

1. So this was posted in the "Upright Bass Player's Union" today.

[​IMG]

Speaks for itself.

maestrovert likes this.
  2. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Soooo... what are the sonic differences between this and a 12/6? Other than the horn providing those spanking highs?

3. The 12/6 can be equiped with a horn as well.

The main differences between the fEARless and fEARful lines are this:

fEARless cabs are tighter down low. You wont notice the difference until you get below low A on a down tuned 5 string though.

fEARless cabs have a different mid driver and cross over network. They have an "upright" voicing, and a "greenboy" voicing that is switchable via the rear pannel. The fEARless cabs are a tad smoother.

The fEARless cabs are also smaller, and lighter weight. The single woofer cabs are kick back designs for tight stages.

The fEARless cabs are only available through greenboy's builders, where as the fEARful plans are free on greenboy's website.

4. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    Tighter, cleaner lows. Smoother overall response from bottom to top. I gigged a 12/6 and 15/6 for a couple of years. Now I'm gigging a Fearless 110 (31lbs, vol. = good 210) and 210 (46lbs, vol. = good 410). :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. +1

I have sat down with the 12/6/1, F112, and Bassic12. Played through them all. I wouldnt trade my 12/6/1 for either the F112 or the Bassic12.

[​IMG]

The fEARless line does not replace the fEARful line. Neither is better/worse/higher quality. They have different goals.

maestrovert likes this.
  6. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    Interesting.... so would 'tighter' translate to 'less boomy'? More focused but less warm? Just trying to get a handle on everyone's terms so I can understand in my own sonic language.

7. I dont find either cab "boomy" as "boom" is usually a 100-120 hz bump. The fEARless cab is less extended down low.

richbassboy likes this.
  8. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    To me, "tighter down low" means less sub-bass output.

Except in a few problematic rooms, my fEARfuls only get "Boomy" if I EQ it in.

9. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    Excellent, thanks! Sounds like I'm still going for a fEARful. Just can't decide between 12/6 or 15/6. Regardless, sorry for the threadjack.

10. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    To me, the lows on the 12/6 or 15/6 model were "wide" and a bit bloaty. Not in a bad way, but that was a distinct characteristic that is tamed with the tighter lows of the Fearless line. I prefer tone in the Fearless approach - especially for acoustic bass. I'm also using an Fdeck HPF Pre to knock out the unused subsonics; that has also helped improve tone - again, especially for acoustic bass.

11. Well if you are interested in building your own, the fEARful is your option.

Per 15/6 vs 12/6, it will really depend on your pack size restrictions, your volume needs, and your budget.

I owned a 15/6. Loved it. Sold it. Bought two 12/6/1's. If I had to choose between *one* 12/6/1 and *one* 15/6 I would go with the 15/6. If I could choose between *two* 12/6/1's and *one* 15/6, I would go with the pair of 12's.

YMMV.

12. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    From what little I've read it does seem like the fEARlesses are perhaps better for upright. I'll primarily be playing my Pentabuzz w/effects so I think the fEARful is the better direction for me. I have no need for the horn (not a fine of super present high end). I think a mirrored set of 12/6s would probably be ideal from the sounds of it.

13. That is how I ended up.

[​IMG]

But I also have a '66 and a DuallyT... so I have good options.

maestrovert likes this.
  14. Zoomie

Zoomie

Jan 26, 2012
    East Tennessee
    Stop messing around and get the F115. doghouse or electric, nothing touches it without going big boy cab.

streamie+rig.

15. If I ever win the lottery I will have a F215 as well. Then I will have all three big boy cabs.

16. Zoomie

Zoomie

Jan 26, 2012
    East Tennessee
    I'd go pair of F115's first.

As you know, it's ALL about the Dually/DuallyT anyway. :D

I think the most impressive thing about Ed's commentary is that he was impressed after having mowed through a ton of gear. Probably not a lot that he hasn't played through.

maestrovert likes this.
  17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    That will look funny on the floor tilted up at you like a stage monitor.

18. I have the 12's for small cabs. If I am going big, I am going whole hog. :D

eukatheude likes this.
  19. Zoomie

Zoomie

Jan 26, 2012
    East Tennessee
    Yes it would but it would surely blow all three of my hairs around !

signboy likes this.
  20. The one on your head, the one on your back, and the one on your a$$? :bag: