Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ed Friedland rocks.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TSanders, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Yep. How many bassists that play music for a living, and have his level of skill, care to join bass forums and answer peoples questions, when they most certainly dont have to?

What a heck of a guy Ed is.

2. i've never met him, but i hear he's a pretty good guy...he's posted a few times on TB, which is pretty cool...IIRC there is also a BP guy here too...it's pretty cool!

3. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    +1

I've used his books to learn what bass playing is about (the best out there IMHO). Haven't met him, but would like to one day

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Ed is a great guy!

:)

5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I have been in contact with him recently about taking lessons from him. :hyper: He seems to be a really cool guy.

BTW, I confirmed with Ed that my Trace Elliot RAH350SMX was his at one time. To me, that just adds more cool factor to it. :cool:

6. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Ed Friedland was the first "proper" bassist I ever got into, after Flea and MK... I bought his slap bass DVD up in Cardiff, and every couple of months I'll watch and learn from it on a whole new level. It really is a fantastic DVD, and definitely a fantastic bassist! :bassist:

By the way... is it just me... Or did Ed do the sound samples on the Carvin website?? :D

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Mike Dimin, anyone?

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Mike Dimin, Norm Stockton, Ed Freidland, etc.

9. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Yes, but this thread was started about Ed. :smug:

10. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"

Ed is great, a really nice guy as well.

Kelly, there is no reason to be smug about it. There are many who fit the bill of the initial post. Ed is just one of us. Everyone from Manring (who, IMO is about as close as it gets to a bass god) to the legendary Lee Sklar answers a forum (Lee's is at the Phil Collins website)

In it's best sense bass players represent more of a community then a competition. It gives everyone a different path, adifferent way to get info from someone whose work they admire or respect.

Personally, I have answered thousands of requests here as well as writing articles for both Bass Frontiers and Bassics Magazine (as well as the January 2006 Bass Player). I host my own forum at my website as well as a Pro section at Bassnutz. I have given, freely, of my time, lessons, arrangements and more at the old Bassically.net. I traveled on my own time and expense to provide 2 masterclass/clinics for the TB NYC get together (600 miles of driving) and initiated the first Anaheim Bass Bash a few years back. I can tell you for all this work, I have made less $ than I do on a few gigs

We all know many other players that devote a great deal of time (with little or no compensation) to helping our fellow bassists, I can only speak for myself.

Ed is great a valuable resource. There is no need to belittle anyone else's. If you see Ed before I do, tell him I said, "hey"

Peace
    Dimin

11. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Mike, by no means was I implying your (or anyone elses) contributions are less than or less appreciated than Ed's. MOF, on here you have been a more present force ([​IMG]Ed!) than Ed.

I think my statement is slightly out of context to what I intended and I can see how it can be read that way. I apoligize if I have offended.

12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure what you meant and then noticed that the emoticon you used was called "smug". Glad we cleared it up ... and by all means give Ed my best

Mike

13. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Me too.

I will tell him when I get to feeling better. I have been meaning to call him but I have a cold that has whooped me and my voice pretty good. :scowl:

14. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Ed is such a mofo of a jazz player. Seriously. I think Ed cuts straightahead jazz on electric better than anyone I've ever heard. It's insane that he isn't cutting albums of this stuff, even just some live stuff. The old saying "those who can do, those who can't teach" doesn't get near this guy.

Hope you don't mind if I hip people to this link, Ed...

http://www.edfriedland.com/audio/mp3folder/BluesInG.mp3