1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ed Friedland Sterling 5 review for Bass Emporium

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mynan, Sep 2, 2008.

1. mynan

mynan

Nov 7, 2007
    Grand Haven, MI
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The Sterling Five is an incredible bass if one likes Music Man styles instruments. If I had not sworn off narrower string spacing, I would have one right now.:)

3. An excellent, versatile bass! Sounds yummy. If only it had active/passive schematics...

4. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    C'mon man, if Stanley Clarke can switch from a bass with really tight spacing (alembic) to a wide spaced upright, then going from 17.5 mm to 18 mm is really nothing.

IMO of course, to each his own ;)

Great link BTW!

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I know I can do it. I have done it many times. I just don't want to do it anymore. The two things that Music Man needs to do and won't do are wide string spacing and a passive push/pull knob. Those two changes would make them much mo0re attractive to me.:)

6. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    I wish that the body was just a little bit bigger than the Sterling 4. I'm a bigger guy and although I dig the Sterling shape, I think it looks silly on someone who is not 5'5" and 160 lbs.

7. When I was trying out basses the Music Man had the best tone that I liked, but then the '08' Fender Jazz V came available I I jumped on it. Although it gets all those different types of great sounds, I really only need to get 2-3 different tones and the '08' Jazz serves me quite well.:smug: None the less, the Music Man is a killer stick.;)