Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ed Fuqua's disappearing posts - anyone notice?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Phil Smith, May 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Has anyone noticed that some of Ed Fuqua's posts have disappeared from threads? You know he had posted to the thread because you can see where someone has quoted him. I also notice that his post count is down to 950 when it was once in the 1,000 to 2,000 range if I'm not mistaken. Or am I??? :confused:

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I've noticed it too. Not only that but he hasn't been around much lately either:bawl:

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I spoke to Ed yesterday, and not to worry, he's alive and well. I don't think he'd want me to divulge any personal information about the circumstances surrounding this time, but I don't think it'd be divulging any state secrets to say that he's re-evaluating whether he has time in his life for internet boards at this point. Also, he himself is the one deleting his posts, for reasons only he understands.

I hope I haven't intruded upon his privacy by posting this, but I'd like to ask everyone to please respect his wishes and actions and wish him the best. I hope we'll see him again here at TB, but I honestly don't know what will happen. What I DO know is that he's a great guy who has helped me and a lot of others here at the site out by taking the time and energy to converse and listen and exchange information, and that I'm very grateful for that. I also know that there are some here at TB who have accused him of being mean-spirited because of his personal writing style, and to those people, all I can say is that you're missing out by being so closed minded that you can't see substance beyond style.

If he doesn't return to the board, he will be missed, just as he is being missed right now. But he's doing what he thinks is best for himself, which is something we could probably all take a lesson from.

Peace,

DURRL

5. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I've disagreed with Ed on many things, but that's what discussion is all about! I miss his energy....

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That is really sad!! I have always appreciated Ed's intelligent, approach to humour and the way he writes is one of the best things about TB - but I think it make some people feel insecure as they don't 'get it'!

But how unfair life is that the people with insecurities get to win - presumably as they are in the majority.

I'm starting to get this feeling.... as TB gets bigger - the more of a character you are, the less welcome you are. People want bland answers - answer the question - no humour, no divergence!! :rolleyes:

When TB started out - it was a truly unique site with a chacracter and a defined group - but it seems to be getting more an more taken over by the type of nerdy 'kids' who dominate most of the net... unfortunately.

They have no life experience beyond their bedrooms in their parents' houses and get their "knowledge" from the net - obviously someone like Ed who can actually cut it in the real world is going to be threatening.

I have been thinking the same thing and that it is time to find a smaller site where people actually appreciate sarcastic or intelligent humour and where the lunatics haven't taken over the asylum!!

I probably won't ever go entirely, but I shall be searching for wherever Ed has gone or a place where characters like him are welcome! :)

7. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    I've only been here a short while. About a year. I've always enjoyed Eds posts. They were always informative and witty. I know I'll miss him if he doesn't come back. I really hope he's not going through any tough times, and if he is I sincerly hope he gets through it. I hope he comes back.

8. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Bruce, Don't you dare leave. If people don't "get" you then so what. Alot of people aren't "getting" me either. It's usually kinda funny, and sad, but mostly funny. Ignore it.

9. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I miss Ed and I miss Ray. I learned from them. One of the best things about visiting TB/DB is the chance to learn from top-level players including Ed, Ray, Marcus and so many others.

Here's some thoughts from our friends on the other side of the E-bandstand:

www.saxontheweb.myforums.net
    Posted by: pfox
    Posted: Mon May 19, 2003 9:29 am
    Post subject:

All forums are dynamic organisms. People come and go, some for the better, and some for the worse. A common complaint of many forums, not just this one, is "I'm tired of the same old topics". Harri has a stated purpose of sharing information and education about the saxophone. The people most likely to use and need this are newbies, myself included. Remember many of us are new not only to saxophones, but also to online forums, the web, and even computers themselves.
    A forum only dies when it no longer fulfills a need, and gathers no interest among users. Read the posts, you'll see this one has a lot of life left, with new, experienced players/members still willing to help new, inexperienced players/members.
    When you get burnt out on a forum to the point of irritation, remove it from your favorites folder, move on to a new place of interest to you, and allow the rest of us to continue to appreciate the valuable service we have here.

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm sorry that Ed feels the need to delete his posts...

11. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    ... I haven't been here long, only 6 months or so, but I miss Ed and Ray too. Both of them articulate, intelligent people who didn't mind sharing their gifts.

Folks who got rubbed the wrong way by Ed mistook straight talk for curmudgeonliness. Straight talk from smart, experienced people is what we're looking for here, isn't it?

It behooves the rest of us to step up to the mike and sing a few bars. My next stop is the PAID membership page, where I will force my cheap ass to shell out a coupla bucks to support what is the best internet resource for bass players that I've ever found.

After-the-fact note: Done. I'm signed up. TalkBass rules.

12. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I sincerely hope that MR. ED returns. Hopefully all is well with him and his.

I'm sorry to hear that he is deleting his posts too. I can honestly say that it was some of these posts that helped me change my outlook on bass and music in general - an insight that it might have taken me ten more years to discover, if I ever did.

Do come back Ed. We miss you.

If not, so long and thanks for all the fish.

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I just thought all of this deserved saying again. :)

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    make that 3 times...

well wishes and all that Ed

15. Ed could be pretty blunt but sometimes bluntness is exactly what is needed. To echo what Bruce and others have said--it is sad that in the majority's view, discussion consists of like minded people restating the same idea over and over. Disagreement is seen as threatening and/or offensive and therefore, should not be allowed.

I am a historian by trade and one thing that has happened time and again is that when a society ceases to tolerate diversity of thought, it stagnates and weakens or collapses. Differences of opinion, on the other hand, are like fertilizer--okay, maybe I'm getting too philosophical but I hope you see my point.

Ed had a knack for stirring pots and yanking chains but not for trollish reasons. Even if you disagreed with him, he made you THINK. For that reason, I hope he returns.

16. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Post count down to 782. Soon his nuggets of wisdom will just exist as quotes in other peoples posts.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Yes - I think there is worryng trend here recently, for people to equate divergent views stated forcefully as "trollish" behaviour.

I must say it really annoys me when people say things like - if you can't say anything "nice don't say anything!! :mad:

The world isn't nice, life's not nice - when everything is nice, that's when we know the whole thing has stagnated, as you say!

Discussion and argument are good things - confrontation is sometimes necessary and can't be avoided at all costs - that's the way to bland boring death of the soul!!

Long live those like Ed who have spirit abnd passion and aren't afraid to stand up for their views and take no crap! ;)

18. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I don't think there 'has been a trend lately' or anything like that. I think this is how the world works - you rock the boat, and you take some lumps. Good discussion and debate always involves some raised voices, some disagreements. I think lots of people understand that, but on the other hand there have always been the people who say 'if you can't say something nice...'. So what I am trying to say is that this 'change' that everyone claims to notice has always been there, and what Ed would say is that you look at the *content* of what someone says. If it speaks to you, if it resonates, you listen, argue, debate, whatever. If it seems silly, childish, or otherwise non-resonant, you treat it with the appropriate amount of light heatedness. I can't help but think that maybe we have all changed a bit and learned alot, and maybe that colors our perception of the board a bit.

That's just my opinion. Maybe I am missing something.

19. Bruce Lindfield

I don't think the DB side has changed really, but there have been a lot of "troll attacks" on the BG side recently, so I think that people there are treating everybody as a potential disruptor....?

I never notice where I am on the board, if it is just a general discussion, so I didn't even notice this was DB - it could have been BG Effects, going on recent form!! ;)

20. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Being able to discuss and debate is a skill not unlike playing in an ensemble, I think. You need to develop LISTENING chops. You need to develop INTERACTIVE chops. If I play something trite, or out-of-tune, and Ed shoots me some glare, or comically emphasizes the root for me, then I've got some developing to do. I'm not really able to play with Ed (or whoever) right now.

When you've got people with the skills to dialog, and who have something to say, the combo can go anywhere. If you can't play along, practice, get lessons. If you don't like the music, don't listen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.