Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ed Roman dealings

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jvbjr, Jan 19, 2005.

1. jvbjr

jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    Well I've known Ed for 20+ years, bought a few things off of him, but now his people have finally gotten around to trying to screw me.

I ordered a Rick Turner 5 string fretless from him two weeks ago, UPS says it is lost. If the guitar could be found, it has been in a unheated warehouse for over a week finish is likely ruined.

I call Ed's shop and explain to the guy that they had placed a tracker on the lost package and that at this time I wish to just end the transaction since the UPS representive I talked to said it may take MONTHS to locate. He told me "that's your problem, we shipped it".

Of course I never signed a credit card slip, so the chances of me paying for this transaction are slimmer than zero, but after 20+ years and $10,000+ in business I feel turned off and will be shopping elsewhere.

2. i've never dealt with him, and from what i've gathered here at TB, he is not a very good guy to deal with...i am sorry about your bass, i hope they find it soon!

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Well, in all fairness - if UPS lost it, UPS lost it and it is their responsibility. What exactly did you expect Roman & co. to do?

4. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    The deal isn't done until you recieve and accept the merchandise. It sounds like it's time for Ed to refund your money and file a claim with UPS. I would definitely protest the charge on my credit card. I don't think there's any way the credit card company will hold you responsible for payment on this one. This does sound like most of the stories I've read about Ed Roman though.

5. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I'm sure if you don't receive it, your credit card company will back you up. Dealing with UPS is the shipper's problem...

6. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    It's always the shipper's responsibility until you receive the package.

You didn't state whether you ordered an Electroline or Renaissance but if it was an Electroline it should be fine but I'd be worried about a Renn being in an unknown physical environment for any length of time.

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It would appear that Mr. Roman is not a good person with whom to do business, but I'm a little uncomfortable with so many threads ripping here. If there another section of the forum that is more geared to "Good, Bad, & Ugly" sorts of stories? the reason I ask is that surely Roman is not the only dealer that peoples have problems with and maybe a section of TB should be dedicated to these sorts of issues.

BTW, jvbr, I hope you get your Rick Turner or another one because he really makes some interesting looking basses. I can only imagine how they sound.

8. Mobay45

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    He probably expected them to act like professionals and provide a reasonable level of customer service instead of trying to bully him. I'm sure that they've had many dealings with lost shipments and know exactly how to handle them.

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    OK, I see.

10. jvbjr

jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    Whenever people use to badmouth Ed, I use to state that I had had about 10 dealings with him that all went OK. I am disappointed that the props I had always given him in the face of controversy have come back to bite me on the butt. Ohhh well, most stereotypes have some basis in fact I guess.

11. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    +1

12. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    :bag:

13. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Make sure this guy finds out that he is wrong and that it is their problem. Best of luck getting this resolved. Definitely buy your basses somewhere else.

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

Was Ed the person you talked to?

15. jvbjr

jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    The standard MO for credit card transactions is signing the slip at the point of purchase like you would at Wal-Mart. For a phone order, the shipper is supposed to get your signature for receipt of merchandise, if UPS fails to get a signature, you can contest the purchase and you will get credited. I knew a guy that had a $5000 guitar left on his porch and he later claimed he did not receive it and got it for "free". While I do not agree with the aforementioned stealing, I learned what the rules of the game were from that transaction.

16. Mobay45

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I've never seen a bass that I would be willing to do hard time for. It would fall under the heading of "felony theft". That's exactly what he was risking when he pulled that stunt.

17. So this guy stuck it good to a small dealer or UPS?

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'm a firm beleiever that that *** eventually comes back to bite you.

:scowl:

19. I hope they got theirs and then a couple more for good measure! :mad:

20. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works