Ed Roman guitars

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Max, Aug 18, 2000.

1. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I just spent some time on the Ed Roman website. Being a left coaster, (and an amateur) I have heard of him, but I don't know much else. He has a great price on a RIC 4003. And then there are these pictures of simply wild and crazy custom guitars, including a 15 string bass with a blonde babe that can barely hold it up. Has anybody been to his shop? It's by appointment only. I kind of got this picture of Martin Sheen going up river to see Marlin Brando in Apocolypse Now.
  2. DoubleBuck

May 25, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Hi Max,

I and my wife flew to LV for my wife's birthday and went to Ed's store on May 13th and May 18th during our stay at the Monte Carlo for a week. My first time being there was with only the store salesmen since it was a Saturday and Ed and his wife were not there. I was a little apprehensive since I had read so much negative press about the store and Ed himself, but after talking to the store personnel, they were very nice and showed me many of the guitars and basses that I had only read about. I told them I went there because I didn't see the basses I wanted locally in the Hartford area, and the wide selection was important to me. Even though I explained that I was a beginner, they were able to spend a lot of time with us and were not paranoid that I would touch anything. I was really impressed by their friendliness. I bought A LOT of t-shirts and stuff from the store for my friends and told them that I had just purchased a Warwick Double Buck and would not be buying a bass from them for a while since I had spent "My Allowance Money" for the time being. :smug:
    The second time I went there was on the 18th of May and Ed and his wife were both there. I got a chance to tour the luther's shop and look at some of the work being done there and from a beginner's standpoint it was a really enjoyable time.
    After we saw some of the Alembics and other super expensive basses I planned to buy as soon as I hit the lottery, it was time to go back to the Monte Carlo. While we were at the store, the lead sales representitive from Hohner was there and was going back to his hotel ( I think it was Caesar's). Ed's wife called a cab for us and our cell phone rang. My wife found out that a friend of ours in Connecticut had died and was crying after the call. Ed's wife gave her some tissues and when the cab arrived we wanted to go back to our hotel room, but a strange thing happened. The cab arrived, honked the horn and sped off again. When we told that to Ed who was standing next to us when it happened, he asked an employee to ride us and the Hohner rep. back to our hotels in his personal stretch limo. If you go I hope you will write to tell the forum what happened to you as I have.

3. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Frankly, I wouldn't buy from Ed if he was the only dealer in my state. I've heard to many bad after-the-sale stories.
  4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I've read extensively on his website and having done no business with him, I can't knock the guy. Being in business, he's probably experienced as much shenanigans as legend says he practices.

He did make some (I think) good comments one should consider when looking to buy a "classic" or "vintage" instrument after seeing the copy-cat manufacturers while he toured the far east. The most relevant comment was:
    I take those comments to heart when considering a "new" or "vintage" instrument purchase. There are many good deals to be had in off the rack retail instruments these days anyway.
  5. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    I have never been to the store, but my best friend is in Vegas all the time and has been to the store. He was not impressed. I am concerned about all the stories of famous instruments that turn out not to be so or they are collections of parts Ed and crew have rebuilt. I've heard it too many times to just be urban myth. In fact he pushing a supposed JBass now that was built by Rodger Sadowsky and Fender together. Weird how Ed keep finding these one of kind instruments.
  6. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio

After almost 6 years, Max finally gets a response.

:D :D :D

We love you dude, really. :D
  7. Yeah, I visited his store last December when I went to LV. His website states and touts that he is "lefty" friendly concerning basses and guitars. I walk into this huge showroom. There were 4 lefty bass guitars (GC carries at least one more than that) and they were all entry level crap priced in the $300 to $400 range. Major disappointment.
    I will never go back when I'm in town.
  8. coop

Jun 22, 2002
    There are far too many dealers that have a good reputation to take a chance with this guy. Just my opinion, and worth exactly what you paid for it.

Last time I was in Vegas we stopped by his shop, and were treated like crap. He probably does get blamed for some stuff he didn't really do. But the stuff that he has in fact done is bad enough to make me avoid him or any of his products.

If you are going to Vegas anyway, you may as well stop in (just leave yourself some time to shower afterward).Again just my opinion, take it or leave it.
  9. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA

Good thing I wasn't asking for advice about left arm numbness, or blood in the urine.
  10. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Am I the only one who thinks this response is suspect??

5+ years later, only 3 posts for the user name....
  11. truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    you live in hartford??? CT???? ummmm NYC is less then 2 hours away, I think you have all the dealers you would ever need, and Upstate NY and Northern NJ outside of the city have some big dealers. Do a search on here for names.

stay safe!
  12. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

Well, maybe Ed has not had that much to share in all of those years...:eyebrow:
  13. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Not to mention the responder lives in CT, which is where Ed Roman was stationed before he went to Vegas. In fact the BBB still has a negative rating on the store Ed ran here in CT (not the East Coast Music Mall which is a different store that used to have Ed influences, but doesn't anymore).
  14. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Actually, NYC is closer to 3 hours away from Hartford. I used to trek to NYC on a regular basis to hang with a friend of mine. I don't care what the mapping websites say, there's always construction, traffic and tolls impedin' the speedin'. :)
  15. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Even though I wouldn't purchase anything there, I still plan to check out Ed Roman guitars when I check out Vegas (whenever that will be).
  16. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    What are you saying? Is my life in danger?
  17. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Don't believe everything you read about him.
    I have known him for years.
    He helped me out many times while i was on the road.
    Sending stuff Next Day Air to my Hotel, and calling me back with the tracking number after hours,calling the next day to make sure everything was ok, etc etc. He is a great guy to deal with.:)