Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ed Roman Lowrider?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ilovepink, Dec 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California
    These seem to be a good deal on a vintage style bass. Does anyone have one?

2. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Sweet jesus, not Ed Roman. Stay as far away from him as possible.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Do a search for ed roman, and discover what a crook he is.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Yep.

"Heel from hell", anyone?

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  6. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
  7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    One of the best music sites. TB is the best forum.

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I have not heard good things about the guy, from the horses mouth kind of things. There are other people you could deal with. Guitarists and bassists had bad things to say but it's up to you, good luck.

9. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    ... if you can't say anything good, don't say anything at all.

10. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    ... momma will never know...

I called him once and asked for info about building me a custom bass. He was a completely rude *ss*o*le and basically told me he didn't want to waste his time pricing up options unless I'd "show him the money"!

My advice: DON'T DO IT!

11. Wouldn't touch it. :mad: :spit:

12. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Weird that I read this!

I was in Vegas visiting family as usual and I live 5 minutes from that huge Ed Roman shop. I've never been and was always curious to go to, so finally on Christmas Eve, I decided, what the heck, I'll pop in, see some nice stuff, play around, have fun.

Boy, was I wrong.

First of all, even before you walk in, you get the feeling you gotta drop a cool million bucks before you probably will get any respect. And I was right.

Two part review of the "shop" (more like uppity establishment):

1) The visual review:

Lots of eye candy. Holy moly. I appreciate guitars too so man oh man, were there stuff to gawk at. They didn't miss too much in there. From entry level to "what the heck is that?". Also vintage stuff and museum looking type pieces. Pretty visually stimulating. And I've never seen walls and walls of guitars (and to a point basses) like that. Not even at the bigger GC's. Very cool visually.

2) Okay, enough of me being nice, now it's on to the real, overall review:

This place was bourgois-er (read "booschey-er) than a Rodeo Drive "shoppe". Geez. They even have a limo out front with their logo on it...no doubt to pick up the "important clients". At first I was excited to see all the guitars and basses thinking I was in for the time of my life. Then you actually get to them and what do they all say?

"DO NOT TOUCH OR PLAY" or "ASK FOR ASSISTANCE"

WHAT THE #ELL?!?!

I was pretty aggrevated. You could literally FEEL the hate from the store and most of it's employees at some normal guy like me walking through their store without a suitcase full of money in my hands. "How dare I waste their store's precious oxygen" I believe sums up the atmosphere.

I took one walk around the store to make sure I wasn't mistaken and couldn't stand the vibe. I even saw a Modulus that I always wanted to play and had those horrible signs on it. Ack. I was outta there...but of course not before a dude near the entrance gave me a sneering look because I hadn't walked out with one of their "masterpieces". Puke.

So all in all, the place gets the coveted 5 Pffbts:

:spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit:

But at least it was a nice day...and I bowled a 215 later on that night :D

-T

13. The only opinion I've heard about the Lowrider is from Ed himself on his website. I'd love to hear an unbiased viewpoint but no one seems to own one.

From all I've heard about Ed, even if Lowriders were awesome instruments it wouldn't be worth getting one. I refuse to deal with him on principle alone.

14. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    *cough* trolling *cough*

15. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't like the way he sells by making everything else sound like crap... just not a good way to get my business! And as was previously stated, the guy sounds like a ---------- (insert your favorite expletive)!

P@

16. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    If there were only 2 choices in basses in the world, a Wish Bass for $500 or a anything from Roman for $125, I'd pay $625 to Wish.

17. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I wasn't going to be specific but that about sums it up!

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I said it once before: I don't care if his basses play like liquid Jesus dipped in butter and greased with lightning sauce, there's simply no excuse for dealing with Ed Roman.

19. Aren't Ed's basses parts basses? :eyebrow:

20. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    You know, I've NEVER heard one good thing about this guy or the way he does business. So how does he stay in business?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.