Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ed Roman on Lakland/Sadowsky

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slugworth, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
  2. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Astoria, Oregon
    I agree. I don't think they are in the least bit custom. And lakland's prices are rediculous for what they are. Laklands do have nice necks though and his cutomer service is great.

Dan

3. He's a salesman and not a particularly honest one, nothing more.

Mike

4. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Really? Of all the USA made Laklands (& I've owned one), I would say the quality is EXCELLENT & the attention to every detail was excellent.

Translation, I don't understand why people spend all that monsy on Laklands, Sadowsky, Anderson & they won't buy my guitars. :bawl:

These companies have built a well deserved reputaion for building hih quality instruments with the customer service to back up their product.

Hey Ed, Stop crying.

6. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    That rant to me seem like more of an ad for his guitars than a sensible refutation of Laklands, Sadowskys, etc.

He is just upset his his cobbled together guitars don't command the same sums, most likely

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i can't stand him...gives me the creeps, man. his partner, ron blake (of R+B basses), on the other hand, is a straight shooter. ed can pack sand...i think most of us know who builds their stuff and who contracts out parts and assembles them...you can say what you want, but a bass put together in roger sadowsky's shop is going to be a fine instrument whether it's made of legos or completely handmade in house, and to those who want a sadowsky (or lakland or whatever), the price is going to be worth it.

8. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC

9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

All I can say is that you don't see a anyone playing one of his cobbed up guitars. Sadowsky and Laklands are all over the place. The pros play what's best and not Ed's stuff. I have little respect for a "salesman" who bashes other gear to try to make his seem more desireable. You'd never hear Roger or Dan Lakin make such a mindless statement, let alone in print. Then again, their basses speak for themselves. Ask anyone who owns one!

Rob

10. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    facts

11. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Turning "actual value" into "perceived value"
    is all in the marketing, advertising, and
    product placement. Shrewd marketing campaigns
    and well spent advertising dollars can turn
    a good product into one with magical qualities
    of mythic proportions. Hey, it's America. Take
    your stand and make your buck.

Slug

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    All I have to say is that if those guitars werent worth the $$$$$ no one would buy them.

Whether it be the looks, sound, playability, vibe, customer service, or some combination of those, there has to something about them that makes them worth every penny.

Ive heard barely any complaints about Lakland or Sadowsky from anyone other than Ed...... Come to think of it, I dont think Ive heard anything positive out of that guys mouth. It just makes him sound stupid too.

Im done.

Peace
    Nick

13. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    What facts? That some companied use CNC machines to cut their necks & bodies?

If someone is willing to pay $3000 for an instrumest, who cares how it's made? (unless the builder lies about how it's built & where it's built) Lakland, Sadowsky, etc don't hide the fact that they do this. This process leads to amore consistant product.

"into one with magical qualities of mythic proportions"

Once you play & feel the instrument, you can make your mind up if it's just Advertising magic or an actual incredible instrument

14. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I personally don't like Sadowsky or Lakland basses. However I have never said or typed that they are over priced etc. The build quality of both companies instruments are excellent and I couldn't fault the basses I tried. However I'm not struggling to market similar products.

15. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Here's his final word in the article:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Remember a production instrument is nothing more than a production instrument !!!

Just Say No!!!

To Production Instruments At Handmade Prices

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

>>> I happen to see a certain amount of reason
    in that statement, no matter how
    controversial it may sound, but that's
    just my opinion...

16. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    At the end of the day, things are only appealing
    relative to their next best alternative. If a
    product is positioned so that it appears there
    is no alternative or attractive substitute,
    the consumer will undoubtedly pay more for
    that product. It's simple economics really, and
    economic decisions are made on the margin, no
    matter if it's cars or guitars. It's the beauty
    of capitalism..

17. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Actually, I've read a lot of things on his site, and I don't think he knows much about guitars at all. Not about what really makes a guitar tick. He can tell you a fact about what year PRS switched their neck heel, true, but he still thinks that a particular construction method makes one type of guitar better than another. And he knows probably even less about basses.

As for telling no lies, he's a salesman first and foremost.

I'm not a great fan of either Lakland or Sadowsky, but much of that link sounds like sour grapes to me ("why won't people buy my Pearlcasters?").

18. I've played (and unfortunatly owned...) "Hand Made" instruments that, IMO, weren't worth nearly the price they sold for and would have made better clocks than musical instruments. On the other hand, my Sadowskys are flawless and sound incredible both live and recorded. They have outstanding craftsmanship and world-class service.

Just because something is "hand made" doesn't give it any additional "value" if it isn't excuted well. Just having a band saw and a couple of sanders in the garage doesn't make one a skilled luthier.

Plus, I would certainly rather have Roger's or Dan's reputation in the industry that Ed's...

Jeff

19. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Word.

20. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Actually, not even. :p I've got a '94 PRS with a long heel.

I put it up for auction (plug) and got a question about it - "is it really a 94? because I've heard that the long heels didn't begin until 1995. . .".

Well, it's pretty plain from the serial number that it's a 94. Go figure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.