Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ed Roman:Serious Nads

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bullitt, Mar 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bullitt

Bullitt

Feb 12, 2004
    Central Indiana
  2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Ed Roman is a confused bigot. No one should encourage him, or his behavior. I feel sorry for manufacturers who sign into agreements with him so he can slag their product while trying to push his cheap crap on an unsuspecting public. I pity anyone who buys into his self serving tripe, and wonder why anyone would do business with him in good conscience.

Do a search, and you'll find plenty about him at Talkbass--most of it negative.

3. Some people just take themselves far too seriously. :rolleyes:

4. leishan

leishan

Aug 11, 2002
    Medina, TN
    Roman has always been a tool......

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Anyone who attempts to build themselves up by tearing others down leads a very sad existence. Your work should speak for itself.

I have a very hard time with his assertion - "Jack Westheimer Ghostbuilds, Curbow, Conklin, Tobias, and many more" Having talked to Bill Conklin, I find it hard to believe any instruments that bear his name are built outside his shop, (except the GT's which make no secret about being built in Korea).

He also makes a big deal about Nugent using a guitar built by PRS.........well, "DUH!" I played at an outdoor festival last summer where Nugent was the final band and Uncle Teddy used a straight-up PRS.

Here's his article on "Ghostbuilding" - http://www.edromanguitars.com/rant/ghost.htm

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

Amen!

And he is like a used car-salesman on the phone too.

How does a cat like this stay in business?

7. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    thats funny

8. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I've only heard this dude's name, so I really [Walter Sobchek]have no frame of reference[/Walter Sobchek], here.

Regardless, nothing good can come of this type of negative practice. It's called Karma and I imagine this dude shed the remainder of his long ago.

Very poor form, especially considering the number of us who have played/owned Laklands and who swear by them.

Besides, who the hell is anybody to tell someone what he/she will or will not prefer, anyway?

9. Bullitt

Bullitt

Feb 12, 2004
    Central Indiana
    when I read that because I have heard many praise Laklands on this site. I can't believe that a man trying to sell a product would put down another product that he also sells. Plus, I believe the Lakland was more money than the in house line he is wanting to sell.
    I am new to bass playing and that is why I love this forum. I get to find out what the hot gear is, learn a few things about basses and gear, and find out who to stay away from. I kinda had this one figured out once I read his statement so I guess I am not all dumb!! lol Thanks TB'ers

10. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Hmmm... that's interesting... I like how he makes all these sweeping claims yet doesn't provide one shred of evidence to back them up...

I think I'll email Bill and see if he's aware of this..

11. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    one of my "clients" pointed him out at a NAMM show.

ACK...his physiology matches his personality.

i've also heard him tear down others that negatively thread about him, like what we're doing here.

i'd love for him to come after me for speaking my mind.

bring it on Mr. Ed.

f

12. HAWKINS

HAWKINS

Nov 10, 2003
    South Carolina
    Last year I purchased a stock Rickenbacker 6 string guitar because the price was right. It shipped fine and was set up well, so I have no complaints. However, reading the Rickenbacker forum, they have had a number of threads warning people to WATCH OUT for his trying to modify instruments himself, claiming his modifications improve the instrument.

He does this with Ricks, PRS's.....anything. Some people are highly aggravated because he basically took a stock instrument and ruined it. Then wouldn't stand behind it.

Since I play a Lakland and know how good it is, I view his opinions with a great deal of skepticism.

13. leishan

leishan

Aug 11, 2002
    Medina, TN
    Yeah, when I used to frequent an Ibanez board (Jemsite), he was slamming Ibanez pretty hard on his website after they pulled their endorsement. He then proceeded to post on the board attacking everyone who owned Ibanez guitars (specifically Jems). He said that "HIS" brand was better than anything out there.

Several people from the board gave it to him when they saw him at a NAMM show that summer...hehe

Like I said before......what a tool.....

14. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    I'm guessing that his visits to Jemsite made for some entertaining responses, no? I could only imagine....

15. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Ed is a chump..... come get me ed!..... shmuck...... :ninja:

ed roman is no friend of mine!

16. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    By the way, this is how I picture the guy:
    [​IMG]

Am I close?

17. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I had one instance where I dealt with him personally... A few years ago I was perusing his site and ran across a bass that looked like Manring's Vinny Zon.. I was interested in having one built so I called to talk to him about it and ask about things like price, options, how much was required down, build times, etc...

Two words: Ass Clown!!!

Needless to say, I took my money and my business elsewhere..

18. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    we are both in Vegas- i have visited his shop- it is huge , filled mostly with guitars. He has a bass room with a few nice basses...i needed a URB TAHT day! so i bought one form him, a Steinberger i later sold- i did not even want to attempt returning it ( i needed it for an audition) though he offefred to take it back for $400 less- no thanks-
    the transaction went fairly smooth- so i have no complaints there, but i have read and heard do much- and to trash Lakland? man, back when i had to find a more traditional style bass for a famous boss i had, the Laklands were IT! those things are gigi machines- so anyone trash talking them is off the mark- i mean, you may not dig them, but to say they are bad?

19. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    y'all think it's a Napolean's Complex Mr. Ed suffers from?

...Can't remember where I heard this:

"...it take month's to gain a customer, it takes only seconds to lose one..."

*if this was to prove true, wouldn't he be on the street with a tin can and a cup full of Dixon Ticonderoga pencils trying to make a buck?... Oh Wait, he would have started negative karma-inducing propaganda that his modded pencils where far better than the Dixon Ticonderoga ones he sells.

***?

:meh:

20. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Everyone get your comments in now.. I don't see this thread being around for long.. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.