1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ed Rosenthal walks!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
  2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Very interesting. Thanks for the links.

3. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Yeah, this is pretty huge and should send a big message to this administration...The Feds are basically backing the states rights on this one :bassist:

4. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Sarcasm?

5. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Ok, i acctually agree with you, just had to make sure since you are a mod and all :)

It's hard to pick up if its sarcasm or not on posts like that.

6. Silaxian

Silaxian

Dec 16, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Anarcho-tyranny: the failure of the state to enforce the laws and, at the same time, tyranny—the enforcement of laws by the state for oppressive purposes; the criminalization of the law-abiding and innocent through exorbitant taxation, bureaucratic regulation, the invasion of privacy, and the engineering of social institutions, such as the family and local schools; the imposition of thought control through “sensitivity training” and multiculturalist curricula.

This term was coined by Samuel Francis some years ago, and the scenario it describes should be frighteningly familiar to anyone who has not been living in a cave these past few decades. Marijuana and other "vice" laws are a prime example of the anarcho tyranny which infests our land.

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    How dare you lump coffee in with driving while talking on the cell phone. Bastard.

8. Bass Boy

Bass Boy Supporting Member

Not if Harper has anything to say about it! Decrim/legalisation has been recommended for decades here. Maybe we just need to waste millions more on another study...:scowl:

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Guys checkin' out chicks causes more accidents.

10. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I'm interested in the long term effects this could have on the movement. Sounds like a step in the right direction to me. :)

11. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    NY
    :eek: Oh no! Anything but family and school!!!! :eek:

:rollno: :rolleyes:

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yeah, but I'm only interested in controlling the things we CAN change. Some things are beyond our ability to control, we must live with that notion and get video whenever possible.

13. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    They'll never legalize it because they simply make too many billions of taxpayer dollars while persecuting it. It's a massive industry, supporting thousands of jobs. Period. That, and they're a bunch of fascists straight out of an Orwell novel

14. Legalizing and taxing the crap out of it would have the same financial/employment effect. For fun, look at how the tobacco industry is choked by the government and apply that same model to the would-be marijuana industry. Cigarettes have about $1.20 in state and federal taxes built into the price per pack. I don't believe that it's not legalized for financial gain.

Mike

15. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

Hey, if I had to buy a $50-100 permit per mature plant to grow, I’d pay it and be happy with it. I mean, that is pretty much how it is in California today, pay $150 and you get a permit for around 15-30 mature plants a year if you know how to grow it that efficient. If you don’t it would be around 10 plants. But in case of legalization that money will go straight to the government.

16. Permit to grow. Permit to sell. Tax the crap out of pre-packaged jernts. "Oh, I'm sorry....you appear to have failed our newly-developed breathalizer test for the wacky stuff.....here's a nice fine. No, no, no...there'll be no jail time...we need you to be able to repeat offend". Not to mention the multiple levels of taxation the industry would face.

The different levels of government stand to make a killing. For that reason, I don't buy the crap about institutionalized criminalization for finacial gain.

Mike

17. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I think I agree a little bit with both of the last posts (and most of what Smash had to say - although I think you guys have it pretty easy up there? They need to back off that Marc Emery dude though). I would have no problem if they put the packs of joints right next to the cigarettes (and tax them all they want) but I just don't think thats going to happen anytime soon... would be Really nice though. If more states can get on board with something like the Prop. 215 thing (not sure if that gets brought up every couple years in every state?) then we'll be alright. This new ruling sets a precedent that the states laws are the bottom line...NORML has got to be loving this :hyper: I don't have the permit myself but a bunch of my friends do and our house is actually registered w/ the state to grow, possess, smoke, etc. It's nice not having to worry about law enforcement breathing down your neck...I think some of the cops blaze it over here anyway, but I digress. If more and more people are allowed to get permits then everybody will be growing and the country will be a much happier place :) no more sneaking around either - Patients will be able to get what they need without being made out to look like drug kingpins... 'cannabis clubs' would be popping up all over the place...prices will be much lower too as everybody will have plenty to go around :bassist: I'm not a big fan of it but I thought our motto was In God We Trust? Well, the bible says that God gave us all the seed-bearing plants on earth to use... so let's get busy, hehe.

18. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I actually do have a problem with that as it will ruin it. Think of all the chemicals they put in cigarettes, no way I’d be smoking that. Smoking anything, hell even being around a fire and breathing in smoke is unhealthy; chemicals make it much worse though.