1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ed Sheeran sued for copying Marvin Gaye Let's Get It On

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by OldDog52, Jun 29, 2018.

1. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    pjbassist and Smooth_bass88 like this.
  2. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    It's a stronger case than "Blurred Lines" in my opinion.

3. ClusterFlux

ClusterFlux

Apr 11, 2018
    Yeah, I think Sheeran is screwed. I'm fine with giving composers some leeway, but that's pretty egregious.

Not the first time, either. He settled a copyright infringement case for $20m last years.

4. bravesaint5

bravesaint5 Supporting Member

May 14, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Agreed that the "Blurred Lines" case was absolutely closer than this, but still thought that the court decision was going to have some negative ramifications for music as a whole. Protecting only those with enough money to afford scum-bag lawyers (i.e. major record labels). Lifting melodies and words is one thing, but rhythms, syncopation, and tempo? Melodies are nowhere close, which also means the harmonies aren't either. Bassline and kick pattern are similar (some slight variations), but come on! The drums even have a different high-hat pattern and the chorus is completely different. Just a scum lawyer looking for a quick couple mil.

If this is even seriously considered and not laughed out of court, songwriters are doomed if they don't have lawyers on retainer.

5. soulman969

soulman969 SUSPENDED

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    I guess I'll be an outlier then and call it a stretch. Not one worth $100 mil either.

Similar yes, but an outright rip off no. Even the "feel" of Sheeran's tune is different.

I might be reminded of Marvin when I hear it but one is pure soul and the other kind of a countryish tinged soul and surely not from the vocals. Ed Sheeran does not sing like Marvin Gaye. Not even close.

6. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    There may be a case here...But I hate to see that it's some guy who isn't the songwriter or family but instead seemingly makes his living buying music rights and looking for ways to make money off them.

barrenelly, ooglybong, JiJ and 2 others like this.
  7. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    I’m really not hearing the similarities here. Now rhythms are going to be a copyright infringement? How many rock songs have the same rhythm or even similar drum beats? This is a ridiculous lawsuit, and I understand Marvin Gaye’s estate isn’t even involved. I’m not even remotely a Sheeran fan and I think this is BS.

8. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Really? It’s a very cliche chord progression I’ll agree and the tempo is the same... but I think that’s where the similarities end.

9. I heard Thinking Out Loud a bunch of times on the radio and never thought about the Marvin Gaye tune, which I know well, too and I do catch similarities on other tunes from time to time, but not on this comparison.

10. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I thought of this the first time I heard the Sheeran song. I was like, “cool, a Marvin Gaye cover.... wait....”

11. Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Additionally, I always fear I’ve plagiarized every time I think I’ve written a cool song.

12. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    I always heard Van Morrison's "Crazy Love" when I heard the Sheeran song. Performed the Sheeran song and each of us in the band found a different "this is way too close" older song to superimpose over it. Three of us singing different lyrics over his song with minimal clashing.

13. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    I don’t know the Ed Sheeran song but it sounds like the dude behind the suing is a bit of a music biz bottom feeder.

14. sigterm

sigterm ;) ;) ;), love y'all Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2003
    Atlanta G of A
    I had written the coolest little vamp ever and started playing it in a jam and my buddy changed into the song I inadvertently copied and then I realized what I had done lol.

15. Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I have a few people that I trust to review my stuff before it gets to anyone else.

retslock and sigterm like this.
  16. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    I had a melody stuck in my head for over a year. I thought "I've written a melody - and it's a good one."

It was "The Last Polka" by Ben Folds, slowed down to ballad-tempo. Ah well!

SirMjac28 likes this.
  17. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    I've heard that Ed Sheeran song at least a dozen times and not once did "Let's Get It On" come to mind. Yes, the feel of the chorus is very similar, but as Ed's legal team pointed out in a previous suit, it's a pretty common chord progression.

18. keith1r

keith1r Supporting Member

Aug 4, 2009
    He took all the soul out of that song

19. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    I agree with all this.. and frankly .. The melody is totally different.. even if the progression is the same..

I also think that What's Going On and Let's Get It On are two of the most profound pieces of music ever laid on wax.. from 1st cut to last .. but this is a stretch to me.

20. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Don't hear it (and I'm someone who feels that Stairway was a rip).