1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ed Sheeran sued for copying Marvin Gaye Let's Get It On

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by OldDog52, Jun 29, 2018.

1. In court cases for example, experts will have to be called in (i.e. doctors for rape cases). If the jury are musicians, they can immediately say that there's no case.

I share Adam Neely's views.

mrcbass and electracoyote like this.
  2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

They didn't do that with the Blurred Lines case. They used everyday civilians. I personally think these cases should go to moderation with music experts and not use the courts for this nonsense.

3. 7615

Nov 19, 2015
    They use experts in the courts.

4. Sure, because Ray and his attorneys knew they'd lose in court. It still sets a legal standard of sorts, which was the main point.

It's interesting to note that the "I Want a New Drug/Ghostbusters (1984)" case mainly revolved around the distinctive bass and drum line, arguably the dominant element of the songs. Shortly thereafter a very similar situation arose between "Ice Ice Baby (1989)" and "Under Pressure." Ice and his writers/producers would have lost that one too, because the legal standard had been set earlier, so they also opted to settle out of court.

So take heart, bass players. You may think you're not a songwriter, but if your line is that unique, identifiable, and central to the song, you might qualify it for copyright protection just the same, even if you didn't write the song.

I'm still waiting for Tommy James' people to sue Chili's.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 3:08 PM
  5. honeyiscool

honeyiscool Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    So who owns I-III-V-VI-VII-VI-V-III bass lines?

Arnel M. likes this.
  6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The jury was not made up of their (musicians) peers. They also ignored the judges instructions. Else they would not have lost that case. I still talk with folks who keep saying that it's the same song. It's not. These cases should not be tried in courts.

7. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I demand trial by combat!!!

honeyiscool likes this.
  8. 7615

Nov 19, 2015
    The evidence is presented by experts. And judges instructions can be ignored . .. sometimes it’s the thing to do.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 2:20 PM
  9. 7615

Nov 19, 2015

MOZART

10. honeyiscool

honeyiscool Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    In 1818, the last request for trial by battle was invoked in England. The other party refused to battle, however, so the one who issued the request won by default. The very next year, the Parliament banned trial by battle.

Ashford v Thornton - Wikipedia

OldDog52 and Mushroo like this.
  11. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
  12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Prince brought Jonathan Cain to the studio to hear Purple Rain before it was released to ask if was too close, Cain gave him his blessing.

13. GZboat

GZboat

Feb 16, 2017
    I have to agree with this. Judges, lawyers, and non-musician jurors are not qualified to determine plagiarism or not plagiarism in these cases. They simply don't have the expertise.
    Greg