1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EDB-2 Going bad?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by hdiddy, Apr 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Just before a recent gig, I noticed some weird behavior with my Headway EDB-2. The Channel 1 input was making a bit of noise, esp turned below 12 oclock, sometimes would cut out completely if turned down. Not to mention that tweaking it makes a bit of noise. Problem seems to be associated with the gain knob.

Channel 2 seems fine. Anybody have this problem before?

I went on to play the gig fine once the gain was set to about 2 o'clock and was uneventful otherwise.

I guess I may have to send it back but it does have to go overseas doesn't it?

2. sonix

sonix

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit
    you might be getting "weird" behavior when the batteries go low. i've had the problem where the XLR phantom power would not work even though the low battery light was not on. replace the batteries or use wall power to test

3. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Like @sonix says checking it against an alternate power supply (new batteries, different wall wart into known good AC) is the first thing to try. Much past that unless you understand what all those little pieces inside actually do it's shop time. Unless it's still under warranty (and even then...) there's probably no good reason not to get it diagnosed/repaired locally. The Bay Area definitely has a capable repair shop.

If you are using a wall wart a good thing to carry is a $10 outlet circuit tester. It's not very likely to be your problem here but I've caught bad power more than once especially in old buildings and on low budget outdoor stages where they've got you plugging into orange lawnmower cables. Ground and neutral faults can wreak havoc on electronics.

Jake deVilliers and hensonbass like this.
  4. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I wish it was on battery power but I was using the wall wart. Funny, I have had it cut out before on gigs going far back when I think about it now, but never understood what happened. Thought it was a bad cable or something else. Now I know.

I don't think it's bad power but I'll try to see if I can replicate it.

EDIT: I'm past the warranty period. I'll crack it open myself and see what the problem is. Hopefully it's just a loose solder joint on the IC board.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  5. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    You could also double check that all the other controls are where they should be, especially the switches (that can accidentally get bumped from their intended position)

6. rickwolff

rickwolff CGJ Emeritus (Certified Gear Junkie) Retired??? Supporting Member

Try spraying Deoxit on the gain pots. Mine did a similar thing before I sprayed it.

7. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Good idea. I've cracked it open but have yet to access the pots - they're surface mounted on the top and you need to remove all the 1/4 jacks using a socket wrench first. Still working on it. Might try alchohol on a Q-tip first.

8. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    Hmmm. That is a lot of work to get to those pots. I know Stew Mac sells a small tool that allows spraying regular guitar pots without disassembly...looks like bushing collar that fits over the shaft with a small entry point for the spray tube, gets the chem down into the pot.
    I wonder if an electronic supply house would have one that would fit those pots..it is possible that the pots are sealed, in which case taking the Headway completely apart for access would be a large time suck.

9. rickwolff

rickwolff CGJ Emeritus (Certified Gear Junkie) Retired??? Supporting Member

I sprayed mine from the top outside using the 'straw' that came with the DeOxit.

10. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    I recently did the same on my Focus (per attached Rick Jones PDF) to fix a noisy effects button (sprayed every other switch and pot while I was at it). From the outside.

Attached Files:

hdiddy likes this.
  11. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Hrm.... I havne't had a chance to buy DeOxit but found out the one knob on my Focus SA was doing something similar.

I never did get to the pot on the EDB; too hard to get to and too lazy to undo the 1/4 plugs. Looks like a printed IC board with all the chips surface mounted. Any loose solder joints was going to be highly unlikely.

12. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Sprayed mine today, worked like charm. Thanks Rick

rickwolff and hdiddy like this.
  13. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    For better or worse, it does sound like a bad pot. The contacts could be dirty, or under some conditions, mechanical stress can crack the resistance element.

14. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I haven't abused my gear (it's never been dropped) so I don't know what it is. I've tried Deoxit on the EDB-2, it does reduce the symptoms but there's still something there. Plugging into the channel 2 1/4" plug is much better. Strange thing tho is that when the EQ switch is not set to channel 2 (and bass is plugging in channel 2), the signal is very clean. With the eq stage turned on, there's a bit of hiss if the volume is turned up.

The pre is still usable but I'm going to have to send it in at some point - maybe when channel 1 goes completely afoul. I think the hiss thing has always been there but I've never paid attention to it. I'll check out the Alix when it becomes available.

15. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I'll check mine agian tomorrow, I was hoping Deoxit would solve the issue.
    I'd like to sell mine. The Felix makes it unnecessary. Plus, it dosen't have to be shipped overseas for repair.

Ric

16. I have the same problem. Gets a little noisy and cuts out. I was just looking into sending it to the UK for "repair" but I'll try the Deoxit!

17. I 'thought' I had a problem with chan 1 not working. Used chan 2 for the gig. Turned out to be the realist pu didn't like the phantom voltage switched on which is recessed on the front side. Got switched on accidentally in the gig bag. Hope it might help someone else one day.

18. That fixed it! Sounds like new. Whew! I was just looking for a Customs Declaration Form to send it in for repair when I saw this on TB.

hdiddy likes this.
  19. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Mine seems to behave now when I used it last.

20. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    It helped with the scratchy pot and volume drop on Channel 1 for a couple of months but now Channel 1 is gone.

Ric