Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EDB 4string vs 5 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IndieBoy_503, Jul 22, 2001.

1. There is no doubt in my mind that my first bass will be an Ibanez EDB, But I'm not sure whether to get the 5 or 4 string. I'm renting a fender precision So I'm used to a 4 string. I want to know if it would be hard swithcing to a five string. I don't think I want a wider neck and I like the spaced strings. I only play punk songs o I don't think I would evr use the 5th sring but my guitar playing friend wants me to get a five string so incase I want to play a song that requires five strings(which is extremly rare in punk) I would be able to play it.

So, the 4 vs. the 5. which is better?

2. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Get an Ibanez BTB. They are better and cost roughly the same. If you are getting a five string the BTB has a pretty good one. As for the number of strings, that all depends on what you like. If you think that you need the low-b go for it. You can always tune the other four strings to E-A-D-G. So I think that the five would be your best bet and look at the BTB model.

3. I agree with BigJH. Go for the BTB instead of the EDB. They cost about the same, but you're getting more bass for your bucks (of course, it's your decision and if you like the EDB better, than you better go for it!). As for your question about 4-string vs. 5, that's entirely up to you. It's not difficult going from 4 to 5, but as you said, you only play punk, so getting a 5-string might be a waste. On the other hand, you can always use the fifth low B string for other things. It's important as a musician to open up to and learn different styles of music. That makes you a better musician. And who knows? Maybe you could be one of the first bassists to play punk with a 5-string. It never hurts to go the extra mile. Anyways, it's all up to you. You should go to a music store and try a 4-string and a 5-string out for yourself. Then you can better determine where to go from there.

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
  5. The btb sounds good if your into the wood finish. I think i'm gonna go with the Fender Precision which I am currently renting. That would be the Punk Rock thing to do:). I know I was sure I was gonna get a EDB I think I'll go for a cheaper bass so I can get a better amp.

Also off the subject of bass guitars for anybody who knows anyting about guitars, my friend won't take the plastic off his pick guard and its just stupid looking cuz it has little blisters on it. he has had it for 4 years I think and he leaves it one beacuse he wants his pick guard to last longer. It doesn't get scrathed does it? not with a plastic pic anyway right? plz say no so I can show this to him so he will take it off. It really looks sh!tty.

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Depending on how your guitar player plays his guitar there's a chance his pickguard will get scratched, but I doubt it will be very noticeable. Even if it is, a new pickguard would cost him a whole $10 or something like that.