Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eddie Gomez clinic tonight (3/1) in NYC

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by bassgeek, Mar 1, 2005.

1. bassgeek

bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Hey, there's an Eddie Gomez clinic tonight in New York at Gage's shop. I just got a reservation and they still have spots availiable. $20. 212-274-1322. 7:15 pm. I'll try to post a review tomorrow.

2. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    How was it?

3. bassgeek

bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Sorry for not posting a review, as I said I would. I didn't think there was much interest.

The clinic was fairly well-attended with, not suprisingly, a lot of bassists including Lindsey Horner and Marco Panascia. They were filming the clinic for possible release (a la the Patitucci clinic that was filmed there). The cameraman were a bit of an annoyance from where I was sitting, but they didn't interfere too much. A nice touch to the location was the 40 or so basses lining the walls!

As an instructional clinic, it wasn't the best I've been to, however, it was good. It was more along the lines of "showing by example" than "let me show you how I do what I do." In other words, a lot of performing, and not as much specific technique lessons. A central theme to the clinic was "Find your own voice/sound" which Eddie certainly has. He was very inspirational in that regard. Eddie was very funny at times, and his dialogue was relaxed and conversational. He had a lot of interesting and funny anecdotes (he was gigging with Bobby Darin when Bill Evans asked him to join the trio!). He played solo a lot, but also had his musical partner, Mark Kramer, accompany him on a lot of the tunes. They played about about half jazz standards, and half of Mark and Eddie's through-composed with some improvisation pieces (these could come under the banner of "classical" sounding.)
    His tone, particularly arco, was very nice. It seemed like he had trouble getting in tune with the piano for the first several tunes. I believe someone else, perhaps The Jazz Lawyer, posted some info about his amp/pickup system at this clinic in another forum. Another topic was air travel with a bass (he keeps basses in Japan, the U.S. and Europe to avoid this problem).
    All in all, it was an enjoyable experience; some fine playing and some very funny dialogue from a very heavy bassist. His resume includes Bill Evans, Miles, Chick Corea, etc.

4. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
  5. JohnBarr

JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    thanks for the followup. Eddie's been around.

Gomez and Gadd were a killer rhythm section in the Manhattan Jazz Quintet (the 'other MJQ" :) some great, vastly underreated jazz.

Some of my favorite EG:
    Ralph Towner seemed to like his style and used him on at least two of his ECM releases and they both teamed up with Bill Bruford for BB's jazz outing, "If Summer Had Its Ghosts"

And he kept up with wild man Bobby Enriquez on Wild Piano.

John