1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eddie Gomez DVD

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Ken Lloyd, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Ken Lloyd

Ken Lloyd Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Portland, Maine
    Santa brought me "An Evening with Eddie Gomez" DVD. Perhaps the expert players on TB will find this DVD routine, but as a one-year DB player (and 20 year blank plank player), I found the Eddie Gomez DVD to be highly useful, as well as enjoyable.

First, he comes across as a genuine person who has spent decades working on developing as better a musician. He's warm, honest, and at times witty, and at times belabors his point.

He plays some great bass, in the context of tunes and also in the context of practice/technique/approach.

There's a lot in this DVD, more than a person can write in a post like this. Still, his summary of the three things a striving bassist/musican could hold as important are:
    harmonic clarity
    rhythmic clarity
    expressiveness

It was my pleasure to say hello to Mr Gomez earlier this year at the Blue Note in New York. He was gracious and personable. But better than all that, he was great on the bandstand. Some of his excellent musicianship comes across clearly in this DVD

Ken

2. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    Hey Ken-
    Yeah, there's been a few threads on this video already.
    However, I will say I think it's great, and Eddie is so amazing on that video. No one else plays like him. Think about that for a minute. People call him a LaFaro clone, but he is not. That beautiful vibrato and touch, the phrasing, even his sound (which on some recordings is terrible) on this video is great.
    Great bowing.
    I can't picture Eddie in The Jazz Messengers circa 1962, but who cares?