1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eddie Gomez with Chick and Aireto

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Ken Lloyd, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Ken Lloyd

Ken Lloyd Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Portland, Maine
    Saw Chick Corea, Eddie Gomez and Airto at the Blue Note on Sunday night.

Great performance that included Flora Purim on the last tune.

Eddie played great, as we all know he can do. He mentioned playing with Bill Evans for 11 years, and how thankful he was to have been asked to play that gig.

EG has a fabulous amplifed sound. It was warm and rich and even. Sounded good everywhere he played on the bass, which was everywhere. I couldn't see his rig from my vantage point, so I asked him after the show: he said, "Acoustic Image amp and a bunch of other stuff up there". Never did found out about the cab or the pickup his uses.

He was friendly and gracious as was Chick. (Didn't get a chance to speak with Aireto).

Memorable show! Perfect bass player.

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Sounds like fun. Chick is making his first visit to Maui in September, it would be great if Eddie was on that one! I've never seen him live. Most likely, it'll be the Elektrik Band, though.

Chick is indeed a very nice guy. He was really cool to me when I was first starting out, ten zillion years ago. Very encouraging. Airto is a real character, and his wife Flora is lovely. We've been lucky to have them out here a few times.

Should be a good year out here, McCoy is bringing the quartet out as well!

3. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I just got Chick's "Three Quartets" DVD with EG and was blown away by his chops and tone. I have heard him before but seeing him play is just amazing....I need to get out more.

4. buddyro57

buddyro57 me and PJ (living with the angels now)

Apr 14, 2006
    Cedar Falls Iowa
    There is a video of live footage from (I think) the Berlin or Stuttgart jazz festival, ca 1991. Its Chick, Gomez, Steve gadd, and Bob Berg. They walk on stage, and count off Humpty Dumpty at a burning tempo. It is some of the most electrifying music- Gomez and Gadd are just playing montrously aggressive time- just fantastic.
    There is also a great Bill Evans documentary that shows a very young Gomez eating the bass up on Someday My Prince Will Come- He's one of the baddest to be sure- JS

5. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    I'd like to know more about this documentary if you can tell me.

Thanks, Ike

6. Saw the trio at Blues Alley in Washington DC last Thursday evening. We heard the first set which had great playing but terrible sound, and I mean rotten, for the first few tunes (feedback, speaker distortion over the house system). As DC folks know, one pays premium prices at Blues Alley. I don't mind the dough but I expect premium quality from the house at those prices.

Anyway, enough complaining. I've been a Gomez fan for many years so it was great to hear him in person once again. Check out the duo with Bill Evans at Montreaux.

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    This has been a favorite album of mine for a long time, but I wasn't aware there was a DVD version - tell me more about the DVD! :hyper:

8. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    If you like to hear Eddie kill, check out Chick's "Friends" album...Eddie's most amazing blow ever is on Cappuccino (sp. might not be right, I don't drink the stuff). That solo, to me, is really the prototype for the uptempo upright blowing John Patitucci would later perfect.

9. buddyro57

buddyro57 me and PJ (living with the angels now)

Apr 14, 2006
    Cedar Falls Iowa
    Hi Ike- I really don't know the name of it, but the Ovation Channel aried it frequently- so that would be a lead. I am pretty sure if was a French-production with English overdubbed-
    It has some GREAT footage of Evans at trhe very end- playing a solo piece live on the merv Griffin show- believe me- you'll be in tears-
    All best- Jon Schwabe
    (also if I run across the title or more info i will email you)