1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eddie jackson Queensryce

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jaibeau, Dec 27, 2011.

1. jaibeau

jaibeau my fingers hurt Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    DALLAS
    Endorsing Artist:MIKE LULL / ERNIE BALL
    I used to be a queesryche fan in my "younger" days but they lost me after mindcrime. But good lord!! Eddie Jackson gets the most amazing heavy rock bass tone. Anyone know the magic?

2. jaibeau

Nov 12, 2006
    DALLAS
    I kno, I misspelled queensryche can find the edit option for title-

3. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    Spector and ampeg. That's pretty much it.

4. Spector NS2 + GK 800RB + McCauley cabs were his weapons of choice during the Mindcrime/Empire era.

5. jaibeau

Nov 12, 2006
    DALLAS
    Someone at that time told me he used a blue tube (tone works ) for the pre growl-

6. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    Spector with the old preamp into a GK800RB with the boost up. McCauley 15 cab in an ISO cab.

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Pure Spector sweetness!

8. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    I have an issue of BG magazine where EJ does an interview talking about OM2...and he tyalks about his sound and how he got it. I'll try and find it today and I'll post it....

9. jaibeau

Nov 12, 2006
    DALLAS
    That would be awesome. He plays mike lull jazz basses a lot too (currently) but I'm not really into the current.

10. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    He has also said that they put a mic on a speaker cab with a blown or damaged speaker for one of the bass tracks. That added to the mix of his other tracks (dry & GK I assume) gave him "THAT" tone on Mindcrime. It is one of my favorite bass tones.

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I get to talk to his bass tech every now and again... was just talking to him last summer and bought a bass from him actually. For most of his live tone, it's a SansAmp RPM using both the uneffected and the effected outputs. He has cabs on stage of course, but they're not audible off stage... he's carried entirely by F.O.H. He pretty much only plays Lulls now, since his beloved NS was stolen years ago.

12. I think he also used 2 amps with one distorted and one clean to get that Empire/Mindcrime sound. Other than that, just get yourself some EMG P/J pickups and call it good.

13. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    That's probably half the battle right there.

14. Not to derail this thread but (still Eddie Jackson related), did he use both finger and pick style when playing? I thought I remembered seeing him play both ways in one of there recent home videos that I have (seemed like he might have started some songs with pic then went to fingerstyle?). Unfourtently my DVD player is inop so I can't go back and look.

15. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Yeah. He mostly uses a pick on Jet City Woman, but does use it on other tunes. I'd say it's probably split 75/25 (non-pick/pick) - at least, live.

16. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    you're right ....i saw the recent Mindcrime live DVD and i was glued to Eddie's playing and tone ....he absolutely rocks ....

i was a huge fan including empire but i was unsuccessful at getting into anything after that and i tried ...i've heard and owned most if not all the CDs ....

i don't think there's any secret ...a great player playing pro gear ....i think he was playing a jazz maybe? 5 str? can't remember...

17. jaibeau

Nov 12, 2006
    DALLAS
    I'd like to know if he's using fingers or pick on "I don't believe in love" ....that pocket is just...loss of words

18. Kinda sounds like a little of both to my ears.

19. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Back before the internet, and we had to read guitar/bass mag interviews, Eddie always said he recorded tracks playing with a pick, but live preferred playing finger style (few riff exceptions).

Spector NS2 back then only had the Hazlab preamp, and into GK800RB heads.