1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eddie Jackson tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Iron Priest, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Hi all,

Can someone tell me how you can get a tone like the one from Eddie Jackson(Queensrÿche) ? I'm looking for his Operation Mindcrime album tone . Especially the song I Don't Believe In Love.

Thx a lot.

2. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    spector

3. Thx

Any model I should look into to get that tone ?

4. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Roundwound strings too. EQ-wise, lots of bass and lots of high-mids.

5. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I always thought his playing and tone were very underappreciated. His tone on Della Brown (Empire) and Damaged (Promised Land) are awesome. It seems like he would play an Ampeg or similar head because he has a very natural (to my ears) overdrive in his tone, not full on distortion. I don't have any concrete answers though, I'll be watching in case someone else does.

6. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    Spector NS2.....

7. Are they still making NS2 basses ?

8. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    Don't forget to use a pick.:bassist:

I agree, his tone is awesome, particularly on Promised Land

9. Although he may have used a Spector during that time, in no way can you expect to get his tone by using a Spector. There are many variables. Bass, setting of the bass, strings, amp, settings on the amp, effects, technique, producer, recording equipment and more. Just mess around with what you have and try to get as close as possible if that's what you want. Or buy more equipment to help. But do not think that buying the same equipment is going to help. Put any halfway decent bass into that same setting (that he used) and you'll probably get a similar tone, or at least one that can be adjusted to sound identical.

10. dannoman

dannoman

Feb 3, 2004
    His live setup was (at the time of OMC and Empire) as follows...
    Spector NS2
    2 Gallien Krueger 800 RB
    Sans Amp Bass Driver
    2 4x10 McCaulley (sp???) cabinets

He used the amp and bass combination for the OMC and Empire tours and switched to Fernandes Basses on the Promise Land tour.

For the studio, he would go through the SansAmp into the board.
    He used a Pick in the studio and mostly his fingers
    live....

Now he plays a Lull....

Not that i follow his playing or anything....:D :D :D

11. Throw all that in the mix with a world class producer (or live sound engineer), Eddie's own style and his own settings and you get Eddie's tone.

12. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

I actually think his tone comes from his fingers.

13. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Believe it or not, I used to come pretty close to his sound with a Spector NS-2A and an Ibanez Tube Screamer pedal. I'd set the bass controls flat with a bit of a boost in the lows. I can't remember how I had the Tube Screamer set up, but it was pretty dead on through a Hartke 2000 head, Transporter 2x10 cab and a 1x15 cab.

I know he's also gone back to playing Spectors as well.
    He's used a lot of different equipment from GK to Genz Benz and Bag End.

That's pretty much dead on.

Boy are they ever, but you'll have to lighten your wallet by a few grand. There are other choices like the NS-2A's I mentioned before. They can be had on ebay for arount $500 give or take a few. They tend to be workhorses so I would strongly advise playing one before you buy one.

14. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    Probably has a lot to do with his finger style, sansamp, picking,. May have used Fernandez bass on a few songs? Has more to do with the player than the equipment, IMS. Good question though.

15. He uses a pick for recording and fingers live, i think he boosts his lows on his eq.

16. This is only part of the equation. Although style and ability have alot to do with tone, the equipment does matter, alot. It is a combination of both that will get the desired sound.

17. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I'm listening to Della Brown (Empire) right now and I also think it's a Spector + Sansamp.

18. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    Sounds like he uses a pick on their recordings and I have to think that makes a pretty big difference in tone. As caloused (sp) as my fingers are I can't get that pick twang with finger style. Only saw em once live and I can't remember how close his tone was to the recordings.

19. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    no......you can still find them used...(from$900.00 to???)my bad i answered this one to quick and yes he still makes them but the cost is higher
    The Spector euro4 is very similar to an NS2(Kramer era) but different electronics/preamp but very close to the price to the Kramer days.

20. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    Eddie is using Spector and GK again plus DR strings.