Eddie Jackson

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by lijazz, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Does anyone else out there dig this guys tone? I hadn't listened to Queensryche in nearly 15 years, but just broke out Mindcrime and Empire this past weekend and can't stop listening. Never much thought about his bass playing before but his sound is killer, especially on "I Don't Believe In Love".
    I can get a fair approximation of his sound on my 08 MIA J bass, just need more grit...lovin' it!

Anyone else have any thoughts? :bassist:

2. TechZilla

TechZilla Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2005
    Owensboro, KY
    Those two albums both have great bass tone. Unlike most heavier bands of the time the guitar work stays away from chunky power cords opening a great space for bass and drums. Too bad they haven't been the same since Chris DeGarmo left.

3. Inverness

Inverness

Dec 21, 2007
    Marina, CA
    Heck, I'd say "since 1994."

4. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

There are lots of raging E.J. fans on here...just ask everyone in the Spector club

5. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    I've posted my fair share of respect and obsession for Eddie's work on this forum!

Interesting seeing this thread tonight, I just packed up after playing along to Operation Mindcrime front to back and finally put the last piece of the puzzle together for approximating his tone from that album. I believe the tone I dialed in was close for a while, but it was lacking a bit of edge. On a recommendation from TB I bought a Multidrive for use with the Spector. That's all that was missing. Now to take what I get through the board/headphones and figure out how to recreate it into my stage rig - that'll be tough.

Anyway, his work is great - solid, not showboating at all - a great rock bassist. He and Scott are easily my favorite bassist/drummer combo of the era those albums descended. The band as a whole influenced my playing and songwriting a pile more than I realized until I dug out some recordings of stuff I composed in the mid 90's.

6. His tone and sound on Mindcrime is my goal sound. The perfect bass tone in my opinion.

7. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Yeah, I love EJ and Queensryche. Eddie has one of my favorite rock bass tones and is one of the main reasons I decided to try, and ultimately buy, Spectors. He also had great tone on Promised Land, in addition to the well-documented great tones on Mindcrime and Empire. Here, IMO, some of his finest examples for anyone who isn't familiar with his work.

Operation: Mindcrime
    title track & I Don't Believe in Love

Empire
    Jet City Woman
    Della Brown

Promised Land
    Damaged
    Disconnected

Of course, these aren't the only examples, but they are the ones I think of first. I think he is really an underappreciated player who played interesting parts that never took away from the song.

8. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    Interviewed him along with Degarmo a few years back at the Chicago House Of Blues (it's on YouTube actually). We got there early and were let in to their sound check. Just me, my video guy and the band members walking around bored. I talked to Eddie about his bass rig, or lack of it. He had a rack on wheels and that's it. He said he'd used the SansAmp RBI for awhile, and just kind of changes things up for fun. He was just a normal guy, as most of the "rock stars" I've interviewed over the years are. I like that he alternates pick and finger playing, sometimes in the same song. Jet City Woman is a pure-pick song, yet others don't work with a pick. Cool dude.

9. Never been much a fan of the band but I have always dug the sound he gets from those Spectors, that is a great rock tone right there!

10. fishtx

fishtx

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    Eddie is a guy that knows right where he's supposed to be in every song...great player with amazing tone...

11. mhartman29

mhartman29

Mar 23, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Is it wrong to post in such an old thread? Anyway I love Eddie and QR!

Spreading the disease is a great baseline not yet mentioned!

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021