Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eddie Jacksons bass?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by B8ssMan89, Jul 22, 2005.

1. What bass does Eddie Jackson from Queensryche use on the Live Evolution dvd?

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Mike Lull basses

3. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  4. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Eddie uses Lulls loaded with EMG's only.

5. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Wonder what it sounds like. Mind you, I've seen him play it in concert.

6. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    You saying he get's lost in the mix? I've seen him many times and depending on the venue he does seem to get lost a bit.

Eddie runs through a Sanamp direct to the board with no stage rig.

7. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    He sure sounds good on their recordings. His tone is about as dirty, punchy and nasty as it gets. (these are all really good things).

8. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    I had two of his EMG loaded Lulls in a few years ago and they were both beauties. My buddy Pete "Harleyyy" Dapello owns and plays Eddie's blue M4 and loves it.

9. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    He does sound awesome on the recordings. I wouldn't blame the bass. I've seen them a few times now, twice in the early post-Mindcrime days and once more recently with Dream Theatre. He was more audible back then. I'd imagine running with no amp is going to make you depend more on the soundman and his taste in music, and knowledge of how to mix and EQ for the venue. The night after I saw them, in another venue, he could've sounded great.

Eddie's in good company, when I see a band it's usually for the bass player and it's unusual to get a satisfying mix. I find a lot of non musicians mistaking overpowered kick drum for bass guitar.

10. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I have visited Mike Lull's shop and had the pleasure to play a few of his basses and they all sounded fabulous but nothing like the ones that are EMG loaded.

11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Eddie's been a loyal EMG player dating back to his Spectors.

12. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I agree that without a backline he is more dependant on the soundman but in larger venues that backline won't make as much of a difference as one might expect, those rooms are very big and hard to fill up with low frequency sound and the amount of watts that run from a professional sound system compared to a few bass stacks is huge. He needs to have a sit down with his sound crew and let them know that he wants to be heard in the mix.

13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Very cool dude too I might add. When I sold his blue Lull to Pete he set us up with passes to the show at The Filmore in SF and he autographed the back of the headstock for him then hung out with us a bit backstage after the show...class act all the way.

14. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa

I never had GAS pains for a Spector until I heard him play one.

15. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa

Damn, thats pretty cool!!
    I actually catered Geoff Tates wedding several years ago and got to meet most of the band and Eddie was a very very nice guy.

16. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Found pic of Eddie, Pete & blue Lull...

[​IMG]

17. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Pete and I were like little kids getting to meet Eddie but the gals...well, you know who they wanted to meet!

[​IMG]

18. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    If you get a chance check out James LaBrie's (Dream Theater's singer) new solo disc Elements of Persuasion featuring fellow Lull user Bryan Beller.

KILLER TONE!!!

:eek:

Makes me want one.. But why, oh why did Mike have to change the body style for the modern??

:confused:

19. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I'm not so much into rock bassists, but Eddie Jackson's tone absolutely kills. Especially on Empire and Promised Land, he sounds like thunder.

20. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    my favorite band...I like eddie jackson, but I would go for geoff tate too!