1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eddie Jackson's Sansamp/Queensryche

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by theaterbass29, Oct 20, 2009.

1. theaterbass29

theaterbass29

Nov 14, 2003
    Nashville, Tennesse
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Sadowsky, D.Markley, Spector
    Lots of threads on this subject, but I cant find any info on his use of the sansamp, or if anyone knows his actual settings, or if you have a sansamp and have achieved similar results.
    I know he uses the PSA unit and have heard he has both the RBI and the BDDI. I have the PBDDI and have a roughed in sound that sounds simliar when I use my Kramer Spector NS-2. Please share your thoughts and ideas but Im mostly interested to hear from those of you that know, or have worked with Eddie Jackson and can provide factual info, if possible.
    Also, Im interested in talking about the BDDI in general if you have other tones you have developed and would care to share your sounds with us.

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hi Jeff- I'll move this to Effects for the BDDI part of your question- you may want to start a similar thread in Amps to discuss the RBI/PSA portion of your question.

3. EddieJackson

EddieJackson

Oct 29, 2008
    Does he still use the Sansamp ? He used Gk amps on Operation Mindcrime II...

4. theaterbass29

theaterbass29

Nov 14, 2003
    Nashville, Tennesse
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Sadowsky, D.Markley, Spector
    Its funny how a guy with a username could be Ed, you never know ; )
    Anyway, the recent Hartke/Youtube ad does show a PSA in his rack from 2008. I personally have never heard a GK head that could get the tone of "Jet City Woman" or " I Dont Believe in Love". I know he is using the new Hartke Hydrive stuff now, which is even cleaner. If you listen to the Hartke ad at the end, he plays a few notes from "Walk In The Shadows" and that sound no doubt has a Sansamp in it, be it the PSA in the rack or from a stompbox BDDI somewhere.
    Another poster mentioned earlier that the PSA doesnt have a blend on it like the BDDI so it would be hard to mix clean/dry without 2 direct boxes, or one clean DI and an amp mic.
    Ive been an EdBass fan since 91, but continued to grow my roots in country music, as it has become my professional career, but recently I came across a 1990 Kramer Spector that renewed my interest in the band, the tone, etc. So I picked up a programmable BDDI from Craigslist and have been experimenting to find that tone. Honestly, you can get a close approximation by simply plugging the Spector in to any amp or direct to mixer. Alot of it has to do with the bass itself, its heavy mass, maple woods, EMG P/J pickups and HAZLABS preamp. Get some bright SS strings, and a medium pick and your 80% there IMO. So the final 20% is made up of what I believe is the Sansamp and either a combination of a clean DI or a good mix on the blend knob. The level of drive is possibly the hardest to match, as I believe the bass and treble should be set flat. I hear the presence knob on "JCW", so Im guessing about 2-3 oclock on that one. The level knob is a no-brainer, as it should be just a notch louder than your clean signal. I brought down the treble to about 10 oclock, just for some added mids, then beefed up the bass to about 1 oclock for the "whoomph" factor. I just cant decide whether to turn the drive knob up most of the way and blend more to the sansamp side, or to back off the drive some and blend more to the direct side, because you dont want to lose that raw punch of the Spector.
    Finally, I dont want to copy EdBass, I just want to rediscover a tone from days gone by and have that sound in my arsenal should I ever need it. Kudos to Eddie and the production staff for always nailing this tone, time after time, in both the studio and live. Im going to see them here in Nashville on November 11 for the "American Soldier" tour. Cant wait.

5. Hi There Theaterbass,
    I'm a huge fan of Eddie Jackson.
    I saw Queensryche earlier this year. They really struggled through their set. They had a bunch of sound problems but they still managed to pull it off. The crowds response certainly helped their mood. I've seen them 4 times and as the years have gone by they are playing smaller venues but hey they never stop and they are still able to support themselves and make a living doing what they love.
    Ed was definitely using the new Hartke stuff but he didn't mic his cabs. ( I was in the 2nd row right in front of Ed!) I don't think he was using "in ears" and he didn't move from in front of his cabs very much. There was definitely some form of distortion on his bass. I read in Bass Guitar Magazine(British Mag) earlier this year that he was just using the Bass Driver. If you go to the Spector homepage and select artists you can see his rack from the Mindcrime II tour. Which had a RBI,PSA and a Gallien Krueger Preamp. In the past he has said in interviews that his distortion is a combination of the EMG pickups, and overdriving a GK 800RB into an isolation cabinet he called the "trunk". Then he mixed that sound in with his clean sound. Hope this helps!
    Brent