1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eddy Finn vs. Kala U-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by selowitch, Oct 26, 2013.

1. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Is this bass any good? Should I order and try one? The all-mahogany U-Bass is $550.00, almost $200 more.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I've never heard of the eddy Finn. Personally, of all the acoustics made for use with rubber/plastic strings, I'd get one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GOLD-TO...R-/360767906411?pt=Guitar&hash=item53ff71626b
    I hear generally good things and it has a more playable scale.

As far as ubasses, check the TB classifieds. They show up fairly often for well under their new price. I've owned several....and sold several. I'm kinda over the mini acoustic bass thing, but they are a lot of fun.

3. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    ^ Excellent suggestion. Thank you! Is it fretted or fretless? I'm thinking I might want a fretless.

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    They have both. Keep in mind, the thundergut strings it comes with are unplayably sticky for most people and require the use of powder or some kind of lube to plays them. I'd want stock ubass pahoehoe strings on it if I were to get one, although they're a huge pain in the butt to deal with.
    Aquila may some day come out with new strings called thunder reds that are supposed to be more stable than pahoehoe's and less sticky than thunderguts but there's no information as to when or if it'll actually happen.

5. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I'm going to go fretless, I think. Already have a fretted Jazz Bass and this one is mostly for fun or as a lightweight alternative. I assume it's not really loud enough to accompany acoustic guitars?

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Acoustic basses in general don't really have useful unplugged volume. These types of acoustics sound good unpluged but they really come alive when they're amplified. If it's just you and another guitar jamming in a small space, it's loud enough but it's not just the portability that makes these great. It's a unique tone all its own that makes it special, though the small size is convenient. If I had the skills, tools and motivation to mod a full sized acoustic to take polyurethane strings, I would. That would be awesome. Some day I'm sure there'll be something like that.

7. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Found info on the Gold Tone MicroBass here.

8. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I tried out fretted and fretless Ubasses, both the acoustic body and sold body ones before I ended up with a sold body fretted.

The acoustic ones aren't loud enough to accompany anything unplugged. You'll be using an amp for anything but solo practice. That's why I went with the sold body. At the time the acoustics had a pickup but no preamp, which was a deal breaker for me.

The issue with fretless is the scale length. With the fretting positions so close together you have to be much more precise to play in tune than on a long scale fretless. I play a lot of 34" fretless and the fretless Ubass was almost unplayable for me because of that.

You really should try out both if at all possible before buying.

9. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    2k W of the Duwamsh
    According to the ebay listing the Gold Tone comes already tuned and thus, ready to play. That's a HUGE plus.

:bassist:

'Looks pretty interesting, actually.

10. zacmac

zacmac

Dec 10, 2012
    I played a gold tone last week in a shop and the scale seems longer than a ubass. The comments about their strings being sticky are absolutely true as well but I have to say it had a great upright like thud.

11. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Great post, thank you. In reference to zacmac's post above, I think the Gold Tone MicroBass is 23", two more than the Kala, so that might improve playability for those that feel the notes are just too smooshed together on the U-Bass.
    <sarcasm>Yes, isn't that a relief?</sarcasm> Especially since it's the best short-scale acoustic bass for metal!!!

12. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    There may be an exception in the this one, the ShortBassOne from Italy.

13. I play a fretless acoustic u-bass and had no problems playing it. Its was actually pretty easy to get accustomed to. But when I play I generally watching my fingering probably 80% of the time. I'm planning on a fretted version of some type of small bass, probably a Goldtone. I'm hoping they come out with the solid body version soon. They told me last week it would be about 4 to 6 weeks.

14. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf

Nov 10, 2003
    I wouldn't worry too much about intonation issues in a fretless model. Violin players having been dealing with short scales for a while now. I have a fender ashbory with pahoehoe (stock kala) strings. No issues in finding rights notes. I have about two hours of playing on a fretted solid mahogany acoustic ubass. I have some nerve issues and guitar bodies always bother my forearm. I was hoping it would be different. Will probably sell the hog ubass for about $450. I also have a fretless gold tone microbass. I would like to have the quality of the kala, the slide ability of the kala strings, the stability of the gold tone strings, the sound of the gold tone, the ergo glide of the goldtone and arch back. If Kala would do a quality chinese fretless solid body, that would be cool too. I bought the acoustic version of the goldtone because I was told by goldtone about 10 days ago that they were having pickup issues with the solid body and it may be spring before they do production on it. So I guess it depends on who you talk to there. Playing fretless does take more practice because you don't just have to get close like on a fretted version. That would be the deciding factor for me. I started on an upright bass 30 years ago so I like the gut like strings on the gold tone. I will never (never say never) have a full size bass again. It looks it is kinda buying a cell phone. Stuff seems to change overnight. There are a lot of changes going in the small synthetic string market and I think they will just get better. I nearly bought a kala california model, but had some house issues and medical issues that just kept me from pulling the trigger. Nothing probably would beat a fretless one of them. I guess no still has played the cheap eddy finn?

15. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Are you saying Gold Tone is coming out with a solidbody? If that's the case, I might hold back from buying the acoustic.

16. Yes they are but thanks Tymbrewolf on the info on the solid body. I don't think i'll wait until spring for the solid body and get the acoustic if thats the case. I'll check in with them soon again.