Eden 112XLT and 212XLT Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oldrocker, Jan 4, 2006.

1. oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I have an Eden 112XLT cab that I really like. I use it solo for smaller rehearsals with my GK400RB. Lightweight, compact and It sounds great, I like it a lot.

I like the 112XLT so much, I was thinking of also getting a 212XLT to use for larger (louder) situations, with my SWR SM500.

I'm thinking the 212XLT will be just more of a good thing.

A couple of questions:

1) I notice that the 212XLT uses differrent speakers than the 112XLT. Why is that? Does the 212XLT sound like just like more of a 112XLT or will it sound different.

2) Do the Edens and the SWR Amp play together nicely? I currently use a SWR Goliath JR III (2X10) and a SOB (1X15) with my SM 500. They sound pretty good, but a little too scooped for my taste. So I'm thinking of running the SWR AMP with the 212XLT and the SWR 2X10, or the 212XLT and the 112XLT.

Thanks Guys
  2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I don't know about eden, but with the popular aguilar gs112 vs. the aggie 212; I've heard alot of people say that two gs112s sound deeper than just one gs212. something to do with 'voicing'

with my "great" back I stick with single 12s and add another single 12 rather than getting a bigger box. if you are use to carrying your cabs everywhere and want one box to make less trips, why not consider a luggage card or two wheel dolly instead??
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, why not just get another 112XLT?

and to be honest, IMHO, eden cabs only sound good w/ their heads.

i tried the 112XLT w/ an agular AG500, and wasnt very impressed. then i tried the WT550, and WOW! chewy fat, thick and grindy. terrific sound!
  4. lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    They sound good with Ampegs too. :hyper:
  5. and ashdown heads too

i got a 112XLT and am just gonna get another one to add to it
    for when i do bigger gigs

i reckon thats the best for you to do
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Normally, I'd recommend two 1x12's as well, but for whatever reason, I dramatically prefer the sound of the 212XLT over the 112XLT. Granted, I have not tried two 112XLT's stacked against one 212XLT, but having gigged with a 212XLT for years, I know it pretty well, and to my ears, the 112XLT doesn't sound anything like it. The 212XLT, to my ears, is more full, slightly warm/dark, but with very good articulation. The 112XLT, by comparison, does not sound like it goes as deep as it specs would lead you to believe, and it's rather thin sounding by comparison (I know it's a 1x12 versus a 2x12, but still, even taking this into account, I still felt like the 112XLT was really thin sounding in comparison).

Just my two cents. IMHO, the 212XLT is one of my two all-time favorite Eden cabs (with the 210XST being the other).

7. oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks Tom:

Do you attribute the difference between the sound on 212XLT and the 112XLT to the number of speakers or the different speakers used in each.

Also, when describing the warmer/darker 212 tone, would you describe it as scooped? Or if not scooped, as having less of a midrange presense than the 112?

I'm asking because I'm looking to substiture the 212XLT for SOB 1X15 for a less scooped tone.

Thanks Again
  8. oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks Joker:

The Eden 112XLT sounds real good with my old GK200RB.

Maybe not as good as with a WT-550, I don't know, I don't have a WT-550, but still, very nice.
  9. draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    I have nothing but great thing and I mean GREAT things from pairing eden and SWR equipment
  10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I really can't say, but I would presume that both are factors, as would be the size and design of each box.

Actually, I would call the 112 the more "scooped" of the two, though we're not talking major midrange dips. The 212 has more presence, to my ear, through the lower mids, but the 112 might have more going on in the upper midrange.

11. Nova

Apr 19, 2002
    Williamstown, WV
    I second this.

My 212XLT sounds amazing with my MAG300. At first I just bought the Eden because it was ridiculously cheap (only $250 used :smug: ) and I thought if worse came to worse I could sell for twice that, but I actually prefer it over my Avatar cab (nothing against the Avatar, still a great cab!)
  12. oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks Tom, I appreciate the insight. It sounds like a 212XLT would work for me.

Anyone want to trade a 212XLT for a SWR Son of Bertha 1X15 cab? :D
  13. Edenbass

May 20, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
    I read on the Eden forum, that the 112XLT is intended to sound more aggressive.

This is an offical statement:

Never tried a 212XLT but it will not sound the same as two single 12´s.

Two of the 112 are great (had them), but i love the mix with my D210T.
  14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nice score. When you're ready to sell it, let me know. I'll buy it.