Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EDEN 112XLT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Larzito, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Anyone tried the new Eden 112XLT? I haven't seen one in DFW yet. How does it compare in sound to the Ag112? How did it sound in general? Characteristic Eden sound? Bassy? Midrangy? Scooped/not scooped? Comparisons to other cabs?

Anyone know its REAL power handling and weight (contradictory info on the Eden site)?

2. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    I found it to be very midrangy. I tried it with a PortaBass head and switched between a Eden 112, GS112, Ampeg 112, and a Genz NeoX112.

The GS was more scooped sounding and I found the Eden to not have very much bottom at all. The Genz NeoX to my ears was by far the most efficient sounding and heaviest in the bottom. It was really nice !!

Just my thoughts. Could have been the room too.

3. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    In my search on the new Eden 112XLT, it was mentioned several times that the speaker is a neodemium. Concerned, I called Eden, was passed to tech support and got to speak with the man himself, David N. He said that the driver in that cab is a standard magnet...not a neo...just wanted to clear that up. He did say the speaker's design resulted in a very light weight, thus the light 35ish pounds for the entire cab...sweet.

He did say they designed it with a stronger upper mid presence than a lot of their previous cabs, but also claims that it has a strong bass punch as well. I wish I could demo one of these guys in DFW. Interesting conversation about speaker efficiencies. A lot of boutique mfgrs are producing cabs that require substantially more power than previous speaker designs. He still holds to the highly efficient philosophy in speaker design. Might explain why Eden amps don't put out as much power as some of the newer models from other mfgrs...Edens don't need as much power. My personal experience with Edens shows this to be true...but my WT800 bridged into my 410 XLT (800 watts) was a wonderful thing. I've heard you can wire Edens using the bannana posts to achieve an 8 ohm load from two 8ohm cabs combined...anyone know anything about this? Can you create special cables for other cabs to do this? I wouldn't have gotten rid of my WT800 had I known this could be done! Am I dreaming?

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    did you do a search?

i reviewed it several times.

5. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I did do a search and read your review...which seemed to be more favorable than other opinions I've read about it. I am curious about the size of the cab. The Eden site gives dimemsions that give it a footprint the same as the other cabs in the David line, but then when I pop over to see the combo in the C series, the footprint is smaller,and the cab photo has the slot vents...like the used prototype of the stand alone cab I saw on Ebay. The new Eden site is a bit lacking...but so was the old one. So does it fit modularly with the other cabs or is it smaller? Did you by chance compare it with the 210XST? I tried one for the first time this weekend and thought it sounded nice...less grunt and fuller top to bottom. If the 12 fit on the 210, and they played nicely together, it could be a good balance of round 12 midrange with tight 10 punch.

6. The combo looks significantly different than the stand alone cab (tweeter angle, size of blank area beside driver). I've seen one, haven't played it, and it looked like the one from the site. It was sitting on a 115, and was the same width. I didn't check the depth on it though.

-Geoff

7. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    So you saw the elusive Eden 112XLT in person? Did it have the charactersitic slotted port on the side? The web site has a pic that is different than David N. described when I talked to him Thursday. I didn't think to ask him about the dimensions, but should have considering the web site has everything else wrong on this cab.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    really?

the cab i tried looked jsut like this combo, but without the top half part with the amp:

[​IMG]

9. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i'm thinking that there <i> might </i> be more than one version of the cab out there...

only because i know that there is more than one version of the 210XST. Mine matches the one on the website, but there are others rated at 500 instead of 450 watts with speakons instead of bananas, etc etc

..in case its relevant...

10. Get the pdf 2004 catalogue off the Eden site. It's about the only thing that has the correct specs for the current D112XLT, and wasn't available until the site upgrade.

Anyway, the D112XLT is narrower than most of the other Eden cabs. I have two of them. I bought them unheard and unseen. Liked the specs - light, efficient, good frequency response. That, and I like the Eden sound. I don't actually have an amp to power them with, so no review yet. Sorry.

Here's a pic. The cabs look a bit wonky because of the camera angle, but they are in near perfect condition considering they were used.

http://slashbinslashbash.org/images/edencabs/104_0492_sm.jpg

11. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Thanks Switched...at least I now know that someone has them...that they do exist. I'm curious to what your impression will be when you play them. I'm kind of debating a pair of them or a single 210XST.

12. 210XST :D

...and make sure you get the new ones with speakon connectors + higher power rating.

Massive sound for a little package (I've bought 2). :hyper:

13. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Beign smoother and full range and all, does the XST ever get buried in the mix...it doesn't have the characteristic low mid hump of the 210XLT?

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    have you seen the specs of the XST? pretty phenomenal. then again, the similarly spec'ed 112 didnt really rock my low B like my Acmes do.

also, keep in mind, thus far, 10" will always be much more punchier than 12", or any larger speaker. you want cut and punch. i'd say the XST.

and *** is up with the Eden site? guess that's what happens when you get swallowed whole. *shrug*

15. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Yep, tens definately punch better, but from talking with David N., their goal was to produce a single 12 cab that had punch...which is the reason for the boost in the upper mids...which is probably why Isimy said it sounded midrangy. Confused I am not being able to demo these in my area.

I mainly play my 4 strings, so the B thing is not my concern for now. What I am concerned about is having a cab with no booty. OTH, the XST may be too bootyful and get lost in the mix...I'll never know until I get it on stage. The XST was very rich and thickened up the D and G strings nicely...much more so than the XLT or the Bergie. But given its deeper voicing, I'm concerned the punch may be gone. It still weights 59 pounds...light for a 210, but I'm in search of the holy grail in a light package. The 12's could easily be stacked on my Home Depot folding dolly (you guys should check these out...they totally rock) and wheeled in, pull the dolly out, plop the amp on top and rock. I do this now with my Bergie 12 mini stack. One hand lifting into the car. Sweet. The band gripes the Bergies have no floor shacking booty (that is by design)...I gripe about their high end being muffled.

I''ve decided I like the Eden sound the best...so my original idea was to combine a single 10 and a single 12. Eden made a single 10 cab with the same footprint as the David series cabs, so that's the obsession with the size of the new 12. Learning it is considerably smaller was good and bad...good that a pair would be more portable, bad that the old discontinued 10 wouldn't fit on top of the 12 without looking funny. I think I am mental at this point. I'm even wondering what a pair of the old single ten cabs would sound like together. 2 cabs at 45lbs each. Cab cubic volume would be much larger than two 12's or a single 210...but the old drivers wouldn't handle the juice the new ones do...I AM mental at this point.

16. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    If you do a search I am a D112XLT purchaser. It's funny, I bought one and should have gotten the Berg, which is what I ended up with anyway.

I didn't find the D112 to have a lot of upper midrange at all -- what it did have I wasn't a big huge fan of. Instead, it had a really present lower mid bump (which I guess is characteristic of Eden). I was running it with a Clarus and an SWR head, if I recall. It was a pretty good cab for cutting through a dense stage sound, but more in a grindy lower mid manner rather than a super bright SWR-ish upper mid manner. The D112 *is* super punchy, but it hits lower (as in lower-mids) than I expected I suppose. I guess the long and the short of it is, it isn't a very hi-fi sounding cab but that might not be what you want...the highs and upper mids aren't anything like the Bergs.

I went from the D112 to an LDS 2x8 cab which was far more cab, especially for the money...I believe Tom Bowlus said correctly that the LDS cabs "made the Eden D112 sound like the lows were rolled all the way off" and that's correct. The D112 has a certain mid punch, but can't even nearly compete with the lows of the LDS cabs. I also preferred the smoother mid range of the LDS cabs, but YMMV. You might prefer the Eden!

17. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Now we're getting somewhere. So would you say they are voiced more like an older 15, kind of snarly? The lack of bottom sounds like they wouldn't get me any more booticulation than the Bergs...and lack of refinement implies maybe LESS bass than the Bergs in terms of tightness. I'm looking for the lows of the Ag 112, with the mid articulation of a 10...which is kind of describing the 210XST isn't it.

So why the switch from the LDS 2/8 to the Berg?

18. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I'd say that's fairly accurate re: the D112. I did find it to be pretty snarly and somewhat clanky on the high end. One D112 will put out more bass than an HT/EX112 with no problem. However, I wouldn't compare it to the tight bottom end of the HT/EX stack. I'm not slamming the cab, because I think it would work well for muscling through a dense stage sound.

I went from the LDS 2x8 to the Bergs purely for upper mids. The only thing missing from the 2x8 was a really articulate upper mid range, which I'm kind of picky about. The Bergs have that in spades! However, if I was doing a gig where I needed big booty lows I would definitely get another 2x8 (or 3x8). It has unbelievable lows. It also has a fine smooth midrange, just not those Berg upper mids.

I haven't heard the XST so I can't comment. Maybe Schroeder?

19. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    So what about a Berg HT112 combined with an LDS 2 x 8?

Schroeder is creating quite a buzz. They will be at guitar show here in mid Oct...I plan to venture out to hear them...curiosity. I'm kind of hoping they will have another manufacturer's reference cab to compare....maybe something really familar like an Eden or SWR 410...are you listening Jorg?

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    no offense Laz,

but alot of this you coulda gleaned right outta the original threads... :rolleyes: