eden-115 or 212?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by worldwidepants, Dec 18, 2001.

1. I'm looking at adding an extension cab to my eden
    410 xlt. I want something that will help the sound distribute more evenly in big rooms. I also want something that will really make a B string sing (a stingray 5 is in the works). I like a blend of studio tone and the chest punch of reggea,hip-hop and funk. I don't want an the cab to make my sound flubby and slow. What do you guys think?
  2. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    arrggg, I want the same thing you do too. I was checkin out that EBS sub-bass 18", the bigger one of the 2 models. Looks pretty beefy if you ask me. Don't know prices though. If not, an Eden 18 would look appetizing. 18"=more low end, gut rumble. If you don't like that, just get a decent EQ and cut off below 26 Hz or something. Thats all.
  3. Download the spreadsheet from my signature and compare the low end responses.
  4. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I went through a similar evaluation almost a year ago. I don't think Eden's 2x12 is different enough from your 4x10 to really complement it in the low end. I haven't actually heard it, though - I'm just going on specs with the 2x12. Eden's 1x15, 1x18, or 2x15 (which I have) will give you a beefier low end. IMO the 2x15 is a good value, but it's a little bigger than you might want to deal with.
    - Mike
  5. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Hey, would an Eden 18 go well with the 410XLT in mono-bridged? Meaning, would it take all the freqs. it can put out and ignore the others? Or would a biamp or crossover be needed?
  6. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    I have used an Eden 18 with a 210XLT (through a WT800) head and prefer running it full range. Unless you are at least 8-10 feet in front of your cabs, you don't hear the "complete" sound. You tend to hear the mids and highs coming from the higher cab.

It's really a personal thing. Try it both ways. It seems from earlier posts that more are running multiple cabs full range.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Go with the Eden 215 instead. The other two are too barky.
  8. I'm in love with my D212XLT's..of course, I play through two of them at a time. That yoyo from STP uses Eden 4x10xlt's AND 212xlt's...works for him? My 12's have a wide bottom and a lovely warm midrange. I can use my 12's as a stand alone if need be; can't do that w/ an 18". 15's and 18's also develop a little farther away from the cab....you WILL hear the mids and highs first if you use them w/ your 10's. I went for "phase-coherence" with a multiple driver setup (as opposed to differing sizes.) I have never looked back. All the sound reaches my ear at the same time....not slower or faster like w/ a 15 +4x10 setup.
    Just a thought...
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, now my honest opinion. Another D-410XLT is what you really need. I guarantee it will sound better than either of your other two options.
  10. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    yeah, that and an Eden 18 would haul ass. Keep the 18 in your choices.
  11. sorry guys- an 18 is out. Way too slow.

Munjibunga- I have considered that. And I do like the sound of my one 410xlt, I will definately think about grabbing another one. Or maybe just a 210xlt, two 4x10's is a lot to lug.
  12. If you can balance the two w/ a stereo amp then maybe the 18" but, Munjibunga is kinda right...if your sound is great already, doubling it is only going to be twice as good! 3db better response in the lows too I think. Phase-coherence is a great and over-looked detail. In a tight stage situation the only folks reaping the benefit of those big drivers are the crowd and yer sound guy (who will most likely NOT be impressed!) Multiple drivers=the way to go.
  13. If your 4-10xlt is 8 ohms, (106db 1W/1M) and you add a D210xlt (103db 1W/1M) 8 ohm, you get a 6-10xlt at 4 ohms if you daisy them together.
    They even out perfectly, and I think there is some bass coupling too!

I use this with my Eden WT1000 or my 71 SVT. You get plenty of lows.
  14. Laddieo

Dec 16, 2001
    Phase Coherence??...

does this just refer to having all the drivers be the same size?
  15. I use a fair bit of "on the fly" sampling in my three-piece free-dub band. When using my Akai Headrush sampler I have to be careful I don't cancel out the frequencies by playing in the same sonic range. If I do a huge, bass-heavy sample, I play over top with a thinned out line. I need to hear these things at the same time or else things get kinda, well, "weird." When i used a setup with 10's and 15's the lows always lagged behind the highs on our stage. When i use many drivers of the same size (and speed) things just seem more clear and concise, less cluttered. Playing the bass-heavy music I do I just assumed I needed huge speakers but now know that a more "precise" tone approaching the same depth and bottom can be had just by increasing the amount of drivers. This may sound like BS to some but it sure as heck has been my experiance. It means more cabs but the payoff is enormous; my drummer can hear the loops clearly and we are all the happier for it.
  16. I think the 210XLT is a good Idea.I just added one to my other 210XLT and together they are louder and deeper than I had expected.I'm really happy with these.
    The 210 also goes a little deeper(48hz.vs50hz)than the 410.It's also 4db.more efficient than the 115XLT or the 118XLT.I can carry these by myself at the end of the night also.
    The 212XLT would be a good match also.It goes lower than the 210(44hz) at about the same efficiency.It's the same size as the 410XLT but 20lbs lighter.I was going to get one of these but they said it would take a couple months to get so I got the 210 instead.I'm just too impatient, but I'm glad I got the smaller cab instead cause it's easier to haul around and it goes plenty deep for me.
  17. right now I have the wt300 with a 4ohm 410xlt. I am planning on upgrading to a wt600 or a wt800. so here my question- when it says on the eden specs that it is rated at 2 x 300/400 watts at 4 ohms does that mean that if you have two 8 ohm cabinets that you have 4 ohms on each side? or that if you have two 4 ohm cabs that you have 4 ohms on each side? I need to know if I should trade in my 4 ohm 410 for an 8 ohm. Thanks
  18. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've gotten excellent results combining an Eden D210XLT with a D115XL. Both cabs 8 ohms, usually driven by an Eden WT400. Nice balanced sound, top to bottom. A D215XLT is a nice option I've used too but it makes for a rather bulky stack and since the 215 is 4 ohms, I use a WT800 to drive 'em. The D410XLT and D115XL work well together, of course, but it's usually more than I need for most rooms.