Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden 115XLT vs. Eden 212XLT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thrash_jazz, Jan 6, 2004.

1. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone had had the chance to A/B these cabs. I was hoping to do so the other day, but the store had suddenly sold all their 212's.

I dug the sound of the 115XLT, but just wondering how the 212XLT compares.

Any help appreciated! :)

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've owned both. The 212 is louder, with a little better mid-range definition. Still not as crisp as tens. I have the D-115XL, but sold the D-212XLT. The 115, while a good cabinet, still is a 15 and, as such, is a bit of a muff monster. It needs at least a 210 sitting on top to fill out the tone. If it's going to be your only cab, I'd go with the 212. If you're looking for nice crisp highs, forget them both and get a 410, like any sane person would do.

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Thanks a bunch Munji! :)

I don't plan on using is as a standalone - probably in conjunction with a 210XST.

I did try a 410T as well and didn't really like it all that much (although presumably the 410XLT or XST would sound very different). I guess I just like the sound of 12s or 15s, for some of that "muff monster" sound (I never did claim to be sane).

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The guy I bought the 212 from had a D-210XLT on top of it. He used it for rock, and that setup was LOUD! To me, the 212 or the 15 need some tens to go along with them. I sold the 212 to our sound man, who uses it in an oldies band as a stand-alone cab, along with a Hartke 3500 head. He loves it, and I must say that in that context it's excellent.

It's like the old lo-fi cabs thay had back in the 60's and 70's, but slightly tighter sounding. Also, you can crank it up without distortion. My first amp and cab were a '65 Bassman 50 tube head with a 212 enclosure of the same vintage. It sounded like hell if I turned it up past about 4.

Depending on your application, it may be just the ticket for you.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I own a 212XLT, and even though I don't use it much anymore (now that I have begun acquiring bass cabs like Amelda Markos acquired shoes!), it and a Mesa Boogie 4x10 were my main rig for years, and they sounded very, very good together. I also like the combination of 10"s with 12"s. Last year, I had a chance to listen to the new Eden T-210XST, and I couldn't help but think that it would sound (and look!) fantastic sitting atop a 212XLT.

Later, Tom.

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    LOL

Thanks for the input guys. Hopefully I'll get to test drive that combination soon...