Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden 18?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boobinga, Jul 26, 2001.

1. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I'm looking at getting an Eden !8 to go with the Eden 4x10 XLT I already have. Any opinions on this? I like a rounded blues and reggae type sound. Thanks!

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    An Eden dealer told me that the 18-inch speaker is the only one in their line not made by Eden. I don't know who makes 'em for them though.

No, I'm not spoofing on this one.

3. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Thanks, Munji. I'll definitely keep that in mind. I notice in your profile that you use the Eden 15 XL. Are you pretty happy with that set up?

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, I really like the sound of the D-115XL with the D-210XLT on top. That rig gives a really solid full-range sound with plenty of mids in it. However, now I've played that setup outdoors, and last Saturday I decided to try the D-410XLT under the 210 outdoors. I have to say that the six tens put out a lot more bottom than the other setup, and I think I prefer 210/410 over the 115/210 setup for outdoor gigs. Indoors, any size venue, I think I'd go with the 115/210.

As far as the 18 goes, I wouldn't let that non-Eden thing scare me off. I'm sure it's a great cabinet. The thing about 18's is that they are a little sluggish to respond compared to 10's. Also, the D-410XLT and the new D-410XST are both minus 6 dB at 31 Hz (same as the D-118XL), so they can put out the bottom end if needed. A long, LONG time ago, I played through a Peavey 1820 cabinet, which had one 18 and two 10's in it. Boomy. I liked it then, but now I'm into a more hi-fi sound. It's all a matter of taste. Also, you might want to give some thought to a D-215XLT. I saw one at GC Hollywood, but didn't have time to play it (I was playing hooky). I've heard that they are monster cabs.

Hope that cleared everything up for you.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Munji's right on it.

I also favor the D115XL w/D210XLT combination with either a WT400 or WT800, however, I just picked up a D215XLT (it's 4 ohm) and it's a seriously killer cab. It has the horn for definition and enough bottom to satisfy all but the most old-school thump-crazed maniac. Be aware, however, that the 215 is only rated at 400 watts. Just about perfect with the WT400 or one channel of the WT800 but perhaps not totally optimum for higher powered amps like the Boogie 400+ or SWR Bass 750.

Anyway, to refocus, the Eden 18 is about the only Eden cab I don't own. (I currently have 4). I'm sure it would enhance a 210 or 410 combination but don't think it would be fast enough to use by itself. I do own an EV 18 in a custom German flight-case cab and the thing sounds awesome when paired with a similar 410 cab loaded with Celestions.