1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

eden 1x12 xlt owners. how is the low B?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aenema, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    there isnt a whole lot of info on the eden 12's yet. so to you owners out there how do the eden 12's handle the low B? my GK neo 12 farts out terribly. i love the 12 sound and would like to find a nice 12 that can handle a low B.

2. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    My new Ampeg SVT12HE is really quite deep sounding and seems to handle my SR5's low B very well. The cab is rated at 300w and seems to be able to handle a ton of power. I am really impressed with this cab so far and am actively seeking to purchase a second one to complete my "mini rig"

3. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    i doubt the GK dirver is the problem. moreso the cab size.

i find that my DIY 12" cab (similar driver) does fine for the low b up to medium volumes.

maybe you dial in too much low end, or the center frequency of your bass eq is too low.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'd guess, as others said, either EQ or volume is the problem. A single 12 of ANY brand can only take so much.

I'm a BIG fan of Eden gear, but I think their 12's are by far, the worst sounding cabs they make. They are very mid focused, to the point of being annoying. Again, I love my Edens, but in a 10 inch speaker configuration.

5. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    The 112XLT is a horrible sounding cab, the worst 1x12 I have tried. Very thin in the lows, boxy, muffled...

6. ustabawannab

ustabawannab Caesar's palace, morning glory, silly human race. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Greenfield, WI.
    I'm considering this DC112XLT combo with an additional D112XLT

I tried the combo without the additional cab and was quite suprised with the sound of my Ric. Though I don't have a .130 B string my .105 E "dropped" to D sounded pretty clean and punchy. Mids were awesome. Rics 4003s like mids.

I'm torn between that setup or just going with the DC210XLT Metro

7. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    yes it does break up when i turn up the amp. i jam pretty hard rock and have to crank the amp up pretty loud. so maybe a second cab would be a better solution?

i also love the sound of the eden 2x10 and 4x10 xlt cabs and thought the 12's would sound similar in a "rounder" sounding package but i guess i may have to go with 10s if i want eden tone. hmm i bet an eden 2x10 xlt would give me the extra punch and volume i need. i also wanna keep my rig as portable as possible. i want no single cab bigger then 2x10s. what yall think?

8. +1 to this and also Cheesewiz's comments... kind of nasally-nasty sounding... although the 212XLT sounds pretty darn good.

9. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    2 112 cabs sound pretty a lot bigger than a single cab and seems to be an extremely popular setup fpr a lot of bass players. Very portable. My Workingman's 12 with the Ampeg 112 as an extension cab makes for a prettry huge sounding rig considering it only puts out 120 watts with the extra cab.

You need to consider your actual needs in the band you play in. You may want to consider a lightweight 210 and 115 configuration if you need more volume but want to keep the weight down.