Eden 2-12 XLT bottoming out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by harley_ou812, Sep 8, 2002.

1. OK I have a Genz Benz 2-10 XB-2 4 ohms 250 watts. I recently got a Eden 2-12XLT that is 8ohms and 400 watts. I am ruming them through a Hartke HA-7000 When i turn the gain up tp about 5 and the volume up to about 5 and play a open B the Eden makes a fluttering type sound. It is only getting 240 watts max. While the Genz benz is getting 35 watts max and handles the low B at that volume with no problem. the Genz benz has a frequency of 50-16K Hz +/- 3db and the Eden 44 hz to 14 Khz +/- 2db. WHy would the Eden be doing this? Could my amp clipping on the 8 ohm load but the identicle amp not be clipping on the 4 ohm load when being pushed the same. Do the speakers need to be reconed? Is there anything I can do about this? at low volumes this is my dream sound.. I just cant run in my band with 3 guitarists with this farting sound. Any help will be much appreciated.
  2. lowfreqman

Aug 18, 2001
    behind a bass
    I bought a used 212xlt off of ebay last year. I thought it would add more depth to my Metro. I thought wrong. It was very midrange heavy and farted at medium volumes. I sent it back to the seller for a full refund.

I don't know if my particular experience was a fluke, but it sounds like you are having the same experience with your cab as I had with mine.

Maybe you got your hands on the same cab as I had! I hope not.
  3. I have heard so many great things about this cab and when i tried it in the store it sounded great at low to medium volumes but when i turn it up a decent bit it starts acting up.. I am really hoping something can be done cause it sounds SOOOO good before i turn it up.
  4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i run my hartke 7000 at 5 and 5 and it doesn't clip. unless your bass and low mids are extremely cranked and have the low pass up too high it shouldn't. i don't think that the 212 is rated low enough for the B string...
  5. I am running in full range with my eq either turned off or on while cutting 30hz and everything else flat. I know that the 2-12 isnt rated low enough to handle the fundemental of the Low B but it is closer then the 2-10 and isnt getting as much power as the 2-10. There arent many cabes that are rated low enough for the Low b. Unless you look at Subs. I have heard many people say that the 2-12XLT can handke the low B fine but this isnt what I am finding.
  6. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    at 44 hz though, you aren't even as low as the E string. the efficiency on it is probably sky high which will guarantee you a loss in low end. there are cabs that go down to 28 hz that i've seen but then they aren't nearly as efficient. are you loud enough? try another 212 or a sub. i've never had a problem on a B with a decent 15 throwing it...
  7. My problems with 15s and 18s are they arent punchy enough for me. Many cabs are not rated low enough for the open E let alone the Open B but yet are highly sought after. Fundementals are overranked in my opinion. I am just wondering why so many people say this cab works so good for thier low B and mine doesnt. I am wondering if it could be a defect or worn out drivers that need reconned or replaced. and if that MAY be the case how do I tell?
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I had similar experience with my 212XLT, so I sold it. The 212 is not tuned for low notes, it's tuned for mids. Same for 15's. For low notes, get 18's (if you like them flabby and mushy) or a properly-tuned 410, say, a D-410XST (if you like your lows tight and punchy).
  9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    My one experience with the Eden 212 made me think it had the worse qualities of 10s and 15s and the better qualities of neither. It may just be the cab.
  10. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You might be interested in the Eden 210XST. Eden says that the freq. response on that is 30hz-18khz. I know you're not asking for cab suggestions but I just thought of it since you are looking for something punchy but that can still handle the low b. Sounds like a good candidate to me.

brad cook
  11. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    If the amp is clipping, it would show up in both speakers. Are you sure the you're not hearing it from the GB too, just quieter?

Is the 7000 rated to handle that load (2.67 ohms)?

Otherwise. . .I have no experience with either cab so I don't know - it could be bottoming out. I'm not sure if "fluttering" is what that would sound like though.
  12. No the Hartke isnt rated for 2.67 ohms but it is a Stereo (I guess that would be the right word for it) amp where I running a 4 ohm load on one power amp and a 8 ohm load on the other. I may have tolook into tradeing in my 2-12 for a 2-10 XST. If it can truly handle the low B. A big concern in another cab is that is doesnt get uch bigger then the 2-12 XLT due to fitting it into my car.
  13. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    the 7000 can run at 4 ohms minimum per side...
    maybe try an acme? they go very low. the b4 would be more than enough lowend and smaller than the 2x12.
  14. C'mon, stop being a 100% bigot about drivers larger than 10".

Not every 15" or larger is flabby and tubby. And not every 10" is wonderful for the lows. I had the Eden D410XLT you favor so much, on my test bench and it has crap for lows. Low B on this box is as loose and sloppy as an old prostitute.
  15. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    That's a great cab, but inefficient. It sounds like he'd never get enough volume with that amp in that playing situation. And I don't think a B-4 is smaller than a 2-12. A B-2, sure, but not a B-4.
  16. Actually, the Acme B4 is smaller than the D212XLT.

5.82 cubic feet external volume for the Acme, compared to 6.77 cubic feet for the Eden.
  17. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    Unless you can bridge your amp, you will not have enough power for the B-4. Even then it might not be enough. Trust me!
  18. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Fancy that. I stand corrected.:D The memory is the second thing to go, right after that other thing I can never remember.
  19. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    actually with the genz and an acme b4 it would be louder than you guys give credit for... i had the b2 which sucked power on its own but added my friend's goliath 3 jr. and it was plenty loud and deep with the same amp he's using. it was enough to cut through a 100 watt marshall half stack and a VERY loud drummer.

and besides he wants lowend, you always sacrifice some efficiency to get it. i am not recommending that he go out and get it. it's just something to think about...
  20. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i hear ya! now what were we talking about? billiards? orange ruffy?